We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to France: should I stick to just Paris

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
First time to France: should I stick to just Paris

Hi all,

'

I'm planning my first tour to Europe, and would like you guys' take. I'm budgeting 8 nights in France (arriving from Munich in the morning on 3/10, and leaving for London on 11/10. Is it worth it to do two nights away from Paris somewhere else?

It sounds like Rouen is nice, but am also keen to do the Loire Valley/Burgundy to do some wine related stuff. Is October too late in terms of wine tasting season? Should I leave all these to another trip?

I'm keen to stick to public transport as I'm from a right-hand drive nation and no experience with left drive vehicles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to France: should I stick to just Paris

Difficult call - there is enough in Paris to keep you busy for all the time you are there, plus a couple of lifetimes. However non-Parisians would tell you that it's would be a pity not to visit France when you're so close...

October is wine producing time, so the wineries will be open. They will also be busy, but we have never had a problem

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,720 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to France: should I stick to just Paris

Perhaps 5 days in Paris then take a train to Tours from where you can get minibus tours to various chateaux?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to France: should I stick to just Paris

You could spend all your time in Paris and do a couple of day trips from there or as was suggested you could spend part of your time in Paris and then a few days in the Loire, taking a train to Tours and basing there and doing some of the minivan tours offered by the tourist office. Take a look at this thread and it discusses many of the popular day trips you can do from Paris as well as how to go to the Loire and do the minivan tours:

fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-p…

4. Re: First time to France: should I stick to just Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:20