We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road Trip

Hi all,

Very new to this site.

Me and my family/Friends are taking a road trip to France in June/July this year (2014) there are 4 young adults (25) and a 4 year old child.

We are camping and have already booked the sites, we are staying in :-

Paris for 4 nights

Lyon for 4 nights with a day trip to Barcelona (flights booked)

La Rochelle for 3 nights

and finally Le mans for 3 nights.

Can anybody recommend anywhere to visit whilst on route to any of these places?

Any Driving tips in France, i have used www.viamichelin.com to plan journeys and work out tolls etc but i have never driven abroad before.

We are aware of the regulations with Hi-Viz jackets etc.

Is there any theme/water parks on any of these routes or nice sightseeing destinations.

Any response will be gratefully appreciated,

Regards Martyn

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip

This site will help you with driving tips, including all the documentation you need to take.

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/

Do not worry about breathalysers, they have come and gone....

Sensible to advise your UK vehicle insurers that you will be in France before you go (same goes for Credit cards and Banks, but perhaps you know that).

Day trip from Lyon to Barcelona by plane, eh?

Ambitouos ;-)

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip

I never thought of telling the insurance, i just thought it was ok as i have the 90 day EU green card cover and break down assist in EU. i will give them a call just to make sure.

Yes a day trip, fly at 0900am and return flight back at 2230pm :)

Thanks for your reply

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip

I too was surprised by your day trip flights to Barcelona from Lyon. A very expensive way of spending a few hours in this great city. By the time you deduct check-in times (you will have to be at the airport before 9.00 a.m.) and transfers to and from both airports, you will barely have time to grab a bite to eat before heading back to France again. Have you considered the transfer time from the airport to wherever you are staying in Paris?

<<Is there any theme/water parks on any of these routes or nice sightseeing destinations>>

If you have already booked the campsites and are therefore committed to dates, you won't have much time to stop off much anywhere.

Paris to Lyon is roughly 290 miles, 4+ hours driving. You could go via Dijon and Macon, two very nice places. This would increase your journey time by an hour but with 4hrs. of driving between Paris and Lyon alone, you wouldn't really have much time to linger in either of these towns.

The distance between Lyon and La Rochelle is approx. 375 miles, a journey of over 6hrs. without any stops at all for coffee/lunch etc. You could have broken up the journey with a visit to Futuroscope at Poitiers. Futuroscope, (Parc du Futuroscope) is a theme park based upon multimedia, cinematography and audio-visual techniques. It is en route but, again, you won't have time.

The only journey that would enable you to stop off somewhere is the last part of your trip, La Rochelle to Le Mans as the driving distance is about 3hrs.

I'm sorry if this reply appears negative but as you have already "locked in" your camping sites, there is little room for manoeuvre.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 20:23
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip

Just a thought: how are you getting to Paris and how are you getting home from le Mans?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip

No its great anything helps, its only dates that are locked in not times so there is no rush of getting between sites.

as for flying to barcelona we are flying from lyon when we stop in lyon so it is only 20 minutes to lyon airport and we only want to go to barcelona to do the camp nou stadium tour and take a few hours to have a look around :)

again thanks for your reply

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip

We are driving to paris from calais and from le mans back to calais

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip

Le Mans has shocking signposting, IME, unlike pretty much everywhere else in France.

Do you HAVE to go there?

For sure it has lots of interest, but you can't half waste a ton of time and energy driving around to find it, not to mention a minor nervous breakdown...

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip

[... recommend anywhere to visit whilst on route to any of these places?]

It depends a bit on the route you will be taking, but between Paris and Lyon you could stop at the pretty small town of Pouilly-en-Auxois in Burgundy, which is only a short distance off the A6 autoroute.

http://www.pouilly-auxois.com/en/

It's a very agreeable and relaxing place, and stopping there for something to eat and a walk could give you a bit of a rest from driving on the autoroutes.

As regards flying from Lyon to Barcelona for the day I say go for it while you are young and fit. I was quite a bit older than you and your party when I often travelled for the day on business from London to various European cities (first flight out - last flight in). Of course I was exhausted at the end of the day and could not do this every day. But it was exciting and I lived to tell the story of when the last flight out of Milan was cancelled because of fog ...

Now I like to take things a lot easier.

Best of luck!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip

Great reply thank you very much!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip

Im assuming you don't like Le mans essexwanderer?? lol

its actually just outside of le mans somewhere called Dompierre Sur Mer,

we want to go to Le mans to visit the race track, unfortunately we miss the 24hr race by a few days :(