We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

Toronto
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

Hello Fellow Trip Advisors!

My fiancée and I are trying to plan our honeymoon to France. We plan to be there for the last few days of August through to September for approximately 16-17 days. Both of us love French cuisine, wine, food markets, beautiful scenery, ocean/coast, and photography. (This is partly why we fell in love with California-- coast, great wine, mountains, delicious food, etc.) We understand that France has many great things to explore and so it is challenging to determine an itinerary for such a short amount of time. I am hoping that you may be able to help us with this!

Some things to note:

- We are willing to fly within France to save travel time

- We understand that we will probably have to rent a car in many regions

- We would like to try and spend not too much time traveling (ie. 6 hour train ride) as we feel that this will eat into our time spent in France...we would prefer to fly to save time where/when we can

- One thing for sure, both of us have spent time in Paris in the past and so we don't want to go back there again and would rather focus on new areas to explore

Here is the list of areas that we are considering/would like to see if given the chance:

- Nice to Menton

- Cannes

- Monte Carlo (maybe?)

- Bordeaux

- Burgundy

- Alsace (Alsatian wine route?)

- Dordogne

- Provence

- Eze Village

Places that we thought we would like to go see at first but were then later told by our French friend to not bother with:

- St. Tropez

- Lyons

- Marseilles

Any feedback on an itinerary would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, if you have any recommendations for dining, wineries, or places to stay are also immensely appreciated.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

Well, you certainly can't see all of those places with 16-17 days. I'd pick 3 at most, so maybe Burgundy, Dordogne, and Provence for a fairly logical grouping.

It's way too early to be thinking about dining, specific wineries, and accommodations. You need to nail down an itinerary first. You could fly into Nice or Marseille and work your way roughly north and fly out of Paris, or fly into Paris and work your way roughly south and fly out of Nice or Marseille. There would be no need for other flights within France. The entire country is excellently served by trains, and should the Dordogne or Provence end up on you itinerary, you'll need to rent a car.

My own French friends would advise never to miss up and opportunity to visit Lyon. They'd also be sure to mention to you that Marseille was named the Cultural Capital of Europe for 2013. They would agree skipping St-Tropez and would probably never set foot in Monte Carlo (except for the one who translates on cruise ships).

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

Personally, I'd just head to Provence, and I don't mean the Riviera/Cote d'Azur.

Why? Because the food is extraordinary, it is a region that is full of great Roman and Medieval ruins, and the weather in late August through mid-September is simply the best. You may want to wait to go to Provence until the beginning of September, since French families will have gone home at the end of August in order to get their children back for the beginning of the school year.

I also urge you to seriously consider not constantly relocating, and perhaps just establishing one or two bases for your stay.

Toronto
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

Thank you two both of you for your suggestions. I was really hoping that we weren't trying to see too much, but maybe we are being a bit unrealistic, especially for a honeymoon. Burgundy, Dordogne and Provence may work out just fine. No one highly recommends the south riviera (nice, etc.)?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

Nice is definitely a very beautiful city (particularly the old Nice, destitute area in the past, refurbished by a former mayor and now so beautiful) And the whole area is nice too : the Alps moutains reach the sea. Very crowded in july and august, but perfect in september. What you thought about - Menton to Nice - is a good idea. I would even begin in Hyeres (Porquerolles island is nice - same thing, never go in july-august), then the road (or railway, because the train is just near the coast) near the Esterel (agay, le trayas) is so nice. Then Cannes is not bad.

St tropez, however, has been so visited for forty years that it doesn't seem very interesting (except the milliardaires yachts)

And of course the temperature of the sea is good for swimming.

5. Re: France Honeymoon Itinerary - end of August to mid-September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16