We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler on a Budget

Hamamatsu, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveler on a Budget

I'm planning a 14-night trip to France (and a few surrounding cities) in mid-summer and would like any advice you've got on how to travel on a budget. My plan is to spend the first 3 nights in Paris, then 1 in Luxembourg City, 3 in Strasbourg, 3 in Colmar, 1 each in Basel and Dijon, and then back to Paris for the final 2 nights. I know it seems like a lot of time wasted on travel, but I'm alone and packing only a light backpack so lugging around bags isn't an issue. Also nothing is set in stone.

Common sense tells me hostels would be the best route to go if I want to save money, but I'm hesitant to book ahead because I might not follow my schedule exactly as planned. I know mid-summer is a very busy travel season, but is it possible to find hostel beds on a whim or should I not even try? Any other budget options other than vagrancy? I jest...

I suppose I should ask the same of train tickets...always reserve ahead or what? Any tips for cheaper fares?

I'm only planning on taking about 3000 euros, but as I've never been to Europe I'm not totally sure how far that will get me. I don't need to do any clubbing, expensive restaurants, or shopping...but I do plan on visiting museums and whatnot. An impossible task or more doable than I expect?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Caveau du Gigondas
Gift & Speciality Shops
Collines de Provence
Gift & Speciality Shops
Souvenirs de l'Ubaye
Gift & Speciality Shops
Maison Telme
Gift & Speciality Shops
Essex
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveler on a Budget

Look at this

http://www.busabout.com/

And this

eurolines.fr/en/…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveler on a Budget

The best way to limit expenses is to limit your moving around. You need to keep in mind that you lose at least a half-day every time you move, and you need 2 nights in a location to get one full day of sightseeing.

Since it look likes you need to return to Paris, I would suggest heading to your furthest destination upon arrival, and ten end your trip in Paris instead of splitting your stay.

I think that your budget is fine. I spent just over that for a 2 week trip last year, including my airfare.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
3. Re: Solo Traveler on a Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20