We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

Hello!

I am traveling to Milan for work and as I will be departing from and returning to Paris, I thought I could take it slow and visit a few interesting places on the way ( - or on the way back).

What are some beautiful places in that area? Where ideally, I could just hop off and on at a number of good and well-connected railway stations along the train route that would take me to Milan. Maybe spend a night at 1 or 2 cities (Dijon, Lyon) or towns.

Actually, I am not much interested in big cities, but an enthusiast of the great outdoors, nature and historical/prehistorical sites. e.g. If the train stopped at Mt Blanc, I would spend a few hours there and then go on to the next place. Though I guess this is only in my imagination.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.30*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.40*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$329.40*
Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

P.S.: I expect to give this "mini-tour" about 4-5 days all the way until I reach Milan (or Paris, if I do it on my way back), and I am also comfortable with diverting from the "main route" as long as I remain in the vicinity of well-connected towns (I don't want to end up in a place where there is only 1 train per day). I also have a minor illness which may have episodes so if by any chance it aggravates (happened only once last year) I need to reach medical attention fast.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

Since the introduction of high speed, reservation only trains on many long distance routes, it now requires more plannin to carry out the sort of journey that you have in mind. You will have to brea the ticketing up into separate legs. If yo have not done so, have a look at www.seat61.com.

There are two main routes between Paris and Milan; the "eastern" one going through Swizerland and a "southern" one crossin the franco-italian border at Modane on the way to Trin. In relation to the latter, you could consider a stopover at Chambery which is a transport hub for southern Savoie. From there there are local trains to places such as Grenoble, Albertville and Annec, you could even get from there to Chamonix-Mont Blanc though you would spend more time on the train than you would actually be there..

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

Thank you!

That sounds very interesting indeed

Yes, I am planning to book different legs, and if convenient I might even take the Europe Railpass.

Are you by any chance familiar whether train booking can be done at the station on the day like in the UK?

Or if there are train fares valid for anytime travel on the day?

Edited: 10 March 2014, 08:52
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,482 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

Please do you sums.The Railpass is almost NEVER cheaper. You are better to book on-line well in advance to get the best booking prices. Look at www.trenitalia.com and check out the super-economy fares up to 120 days in advance.

You always need point-to-point tickets. You can't just hop off and then on again.

If you have local tickets as opposed to on-line tickets, make sure you validate them in the ticket machine on the platform.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

Chambéry is an intermediate TGV stop and would certainly make a more interesting and relaxing stop than Grenoble.From this beautiful capital of Savoy you may take a local train to the nearby (10mn)Aix les Bains spa town and make a cruise on the Bourget Lake to Hautecombe Abbey.

chambery-tourism.com/1657-chambery-tourisme-…

visites-interactives.eu/fr/…index.html

compagniedesbateauxdulac.fr/index.php/croisi…

From Chambéry, a one hour journey on TER trains would take you to Annecy.

http://en.lac-annecy.com/

6. Re: Places of interest to hop off along Paris-Milan train route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18