We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

I am traveling to France leaving April 2. First five days start in Prague but then I fly into Paris. My daughter is doing a semester abroad there. This will be my third trip to Paris and I am not worried about that part. But after 4-5 days there I was going to strike out on my own to some other regions until my return flight out from Paris on the 22nd. I've been reading guide books in bits and pieces and realized: wow, this country is Gorgeous, and HUGE,and...okay, I'm going to have to really narrow down to maybe two regions. I knew this months ago.

For various reasons I have been unable to make the time to get solid on my travels outside Paris. I am hurriedly trying to catch up so would VERY much appreciate any guidance on following assumptions: 1) As it is April (not a peak time), accommodations and rental cars and train reservations will be readily available. 2) The weather will be unpredictable regardless of region. 3) Seeing more than 3 castles/chateaux will overwhelm. 4) I have to see Caucassone.

My penciled plans are a train to Chartres, then car for a Loire region loop, and another loop in Provence. I bought a map tonight and am flustered. Eventually I will post to smaller forums, but for now, please, any warnings related to the above. Thank you.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,635 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

April can be a lovely month for visits to France, but as you note, good weather can't be depended on.

You'll see from the link that some areas of France will be on their Easter holidays, plus other countries will also have their Easter breaks then, so you can't bank on booking being quite so easy, as your dates aren't so very far ahead:

http://about-france.com/school-holidays.htm

The areas of the Loire and Provence are good choices, but Carcassonne won't fit into those plans, so if it's a must see, you'll need a re-think.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 06:31
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

Last night after I posted that I read another post where someone was reluctantly making the decision to put off Southern France for another visit. I took a deep breath and realized that was advice for me too. So no Causasonne. Any other walled or medievel stuuf in the Loire region come to mind?

I looked up the Easter Sunday plans for Chartres. There are some, but haven't checked re lodgings. Originally I was going to go on 12th as it is start of the lumiere (sp?).

My hope is to be staying in small, family run hotels, pensions, auberges. I'm pretty go-with-flow (not persnickety about things being just so).

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

Do you have this link

http://www.logishotels.com/hotel/france.html

These are small hotels in smaller places. They often have a restaurant.

We enjoy Burgundy. It is a large region with lots to see.

Good luck.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

Thank you for the link to the small places. I haven't spent much time looking into Burgundy but I will read up on it. When I first starting researching France I felt the only logical answer was to move there for a year. Bad timing for now because I have four animals and leaving them is hard (three are elderly). Anyhow, I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a MIchelin map of France and I am going to play with various loops.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

Something to think about... rather than be away from Paris and have to return to CDG for your flight home, why not go immediately to the Loire where you rent a car and tour for 4 or 5 days. Then return to Paris so you are already there the day of your flight.

Pick up a Michelin Green Guide for the Loire. Ina Caro's "The Road from the Past: Traveling Through History in France" has an excellent section on the Loire.

Use the TGV to get from Paris to Tours and back. Rent a car through http://www.autoeurope.com... phone them rather than booking online as they are very helpful. Try using ViaMichelin.com for route planning.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

I am visiting a friend tomorrow who recently took a weeklong bike tour through the Loire Valley so that will be helpful. I will be spending time in Paris at the beginning and end because my daughter is spending a semester abroad there. We have lots of plans:) Not so much sights, as "outings", such as seek consignment shops. I would like to have her join me for a day or two at beginning of my Loire adventure- so looking at Chartres as car rental site, or further along like you suggested at Tours.

Eurocar seems to get many good reviews! My initial looks showed very reasonable prices.

7. Re: Help, please. 3 week trip to france in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:20