We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day road trip in southern France

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
11 day road trip in southern France

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are planning an 11 night trip in France at the beginning of June 2014 our budget for the whole trip is around £1000 (£500 each) to include flights and car hire.

Our current plan is to fly to Lyon (as return flights are quite reasonable) and then hiring a car from the airport and drive down to Provence staying there for 3 or 4 nights. We are looking at Aix en Provence at the moment but open to any other recommendations.

From there we would like to drive along the coast and stay somewhere on the Côte d'Azur for 3 or 4 nights. At the moment we are thinking of staying in Menton as it is near to Monaco, Cannes, Nice, Italy etc so lots of places to explore.

From there we would then like to drive up into the Alps and stay either in Annecy or Talliores for a few nights. This is the part of the trip I am most unsure of as the distance from Menton to Annecy seems quite far. Would we be able to do it in 1 day or would it be best to stay a night on the way somewhere? We don't mind driving long distances.

From there we will head back to Lyon for the flight home.

If anyone has any recommendations of places to stay / things to do or can think of an alternative itinerary and an idea of how long to spend in each place i am open to suggestions. Our main aim is to sample the local culture, try some lovely food and wine and generally have a nice holiday!

Thanks,

Hannah

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day road trip in southern France

Hello

Menton to Annecy will take you about 6 hrs. There is also an alternative route if you started in Nice there is a lovely back route ( BIS) which will takeabout the same time.

See http://www.viamichelin.com/

Depending on what you want to see Grenoble is a nice city to visit, bastille gives great vews, there's a chateau in Vizille, if you like the Tour de France then you could spend time here in the French Alps

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day road trip in southern France

Your budget is only just over 100 euros a day. When you consider flights, vehicle rental, tolls, petrol, accommodation nightly plus 3 meals a day I don't see how the money will stretch that far. You need to reconsider the trip or up the budget I'm afraid.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day road trip in southern France

Try using www.viamichelin.com to estimate driving times, distances, fuel and tolls. Driving in France is expensive and will eat up a decent part of your budget.

One good thing about having a car though is that it lets you stay in smaller towns instead of big cities. So I would stay near Aix, or even further west near Avignon and use the car to explore small villages.

4. Re: 11 day road trip in southern France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 November 2015, 16:38
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 day road trip in southern France

Thanks for your helpful replies!

The budget I was thinking was just to cover flights, accomodation and car hire which I have kind of managed to find there or there abouts.

Food, tolls and fuel costs will have to be in addition but will try and be as economical as possible. I certainly don't mind filling up on bread and cheese! :)

6. Re: 11 day road trip in southern France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:16