We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Canal du Midi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling Canal du Midi

My wife and I plan to cycle from Beziers to Toulouse along the Canal du Midi in September, taking about six days. We are in our 50s, and fit, experienced recreational cyclists. Could anyone recommend the best overnight stays? Diversions off the canal (we're fine with hills)?

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling Canal du Midi

Hello John,

Check out this website for some helpful information

http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling Canal du Midi

The good thing about the Canal du Midi is that in it´s 300 to 400 year history, towns have come to it and it´s relatively easy to remain engaged in interesting activity right along its banks. One side trip I might suggest would be near Homps and that would be to visit the village of Minerve in the hills to the north.

les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/fr/min…

Otherwise, with rare exception, you will have a clear pathway upon which to travel the entire distance. You might consider a canal guide which offers points of interest, restaurants, and other information specific to canal travel. Written for watercraft, a biker should find it equally interesting.:

carte-fluviale.com/en/waterways-guides/water…

fluvialnet.com/guide-fluvial-fluviacarte-mid…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling Canal du Midi

Thanks - very helpful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling Canal du Midi

Great links - thanks. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has cycled the canal: in one week, is our plan to cycle Beziers to Toulouse likely to mean we won't have time to see the interesting villages nearby such as Minerve?

5. Re: Cycling Canal du Midi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:16