We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

Montpelier, Vermont
3 posts
Save Topic
Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

I've never gone to Europe before; indeed have traveled no further than Canada (live in the US). Although the cost makes me swallow hard, I'm really thinking about doing a Rick Steves tour of Paris and the heart of France. Several reasons go into my considering this, among them being a solo female traveler, no experience in Europe, and wanting to perhaps leave some of the travel details to others in the beginning.

I would never really consider a typical tour group; the hordes following their guide in a huge bus everywhere is a common sight where I live and not one I'd want to be part of. But it seems from the descriptions of their tours that this could be a tour that would work for me. I'm fit,active, and love to walk for miles and take mass transit whenever possible, pack super light, have no desire to stay in fancy places and really just want someone to make enough of the arrangements so I can figure out how to get around without getting lost! And learning about what I'm seeing is good too.

Have you done one of these tours? What was your experience? As a solo traveler will I feel isolated or enough a part of the group? Any other info you want to share?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

Interestingly, Rick Steves got his start by telling people to avoid tours and venture out on their own. It was his selling of these self guided tour books and his PBS presence that made him famous. Now he is selling tours.

For Paris, you absolutely do not need a tour. I agree with the original RS. When money is involved, apparently a travel creed of self initiated tourism can be modified.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 17:10
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

The price of the RS tours is enough to keep me away. With some research and planning you can easily design your own "tour" and save a ton of money and do the things that interest you.

Montpelier, Vermont
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

Yes, for Paris itself, I'd do it on my own. I'm thinking more about all the other places the tour covers as mostly it's outside of Paris. I'm uncertain about the getting to them and figuring it all out part- and how much time that would take. I have precious little vacation time so I guess I want to make the most of it.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

Tell us what timeframe you have, both when you want to go and how long you have. Specifically, what areas of France interest you.

Regular posters to this board have experience in all corners of France. Tell us what you need and where it is you want to go. Give as much detail as you can and we will fill int the rest.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

I see where the RS tour goes to the Loire and Normandy - are you interested in these specific locations? Or somewhere else in France?

In agreement with Sarastro, if you can provide more details we can help you put this all together.

6. Re: Any experience with Rick Steves tour of France?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:16