We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

Co Clare
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

Can anyone please advise me I am travelling from Cherbourg to southern Spain on 6th April 2014.

I a terrified of heights i.e. cliff roads etc. Will I be on any of these roads or is it all motorway. Also will have to stop at least 2 times. Can anyone recommend a nice village or town thats worth staying in on the way down to Nerja. Thanks a mill Lou

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

Loulou, take a look at www.viamichelin.com and routes.aaireland.ie (click on the Europe box) This will give you a good idea of distance and times (add on about 10%)

According to the AA it will take you about 17.5 hours straight driving - I'd make this 20 hours. I don't know about the Spain element of it but at various times we've driven (at different times) between San Sebastien. All of this is motorway bar the first bit of the journey when you arrive in Cherbourg. And that's not very difficult.

There are no cliff roads but there are some high bridges. I can't remember exactly where. But you won't notice them very much as the sides are usually very high.

Do be aware of the toll charges.

In terms of towns, I think you really need to look at what is most convenient. There are some lovely towns just a short detour on the way down. But really you need to look at where you plan to make your stops. It is a VERY long journey and I think you need to be looking at doing it over 4 days rather than 3.

Take a look at the Ibis Hotels http://ibishotel.ibis.com/gb/home/index.shtml

Co Clare
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

Hi There,

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply. I booked this trip on the spur of the moment without doing any research, so am a bit addled. Again Thank You Lou

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

Loulou, can I ask a question...

Do you HAVE to go to Nerja or do you just want to? Its just that there are some spectacular places on the West Coast of France and if you don't have to go to Nerja they would be worth exploring.

Just thinking here of the following places:

Mont St Michel

Cognac (do a tour of the Hennessy Distillery)

Vannes (not hugely far from Nantes) a beautiful town on the sea. Totally gorgeous

The Vendee - The Ile de Normoutier and the Ile de Re

Biarritz - such a beautiful town

These are just a few suggestions. But you'd need more time than you have to see them.

Co Clare
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

We are going for a month just came back from Nerja and really liked it. It's very cheap to eat and stay there and it is not like your normal costa del sol places. Have been in Granville and Mont St M before. Its just that we are on a budget so Spain is much less expensive

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

Ok, I see where you are coming from!!

Of the places I've mentioned, then I certainly think Biarritz is worth a drive through. It is really beautiful.

And you might be able to work it out to get to Cognac for a tour of the Hennessy Distillery in the evening so you wouldn't have to drive far afterwards.

I'm sure you are aware of the Aires (motorway services) and the difference between the bigger and the smaller ones. Also make sure you buy your petrol/diesel in supermarkets off the motorways rather than on the motorways, There is a significant difference in price.

Also be aware of the tolls. Viamichelin will calculate that for you.

http://www.intermarche.com/ (map on the right - will show you where shops are)

http://www.e-leclerc.com/ Again a map on the right

http://www.carrefour.fr/ Map in the middle.

Take a list of the supermarkets on your route. And that way you will know where to go. The supermarkets are generally very well signposted and you will often find a few in the same area.

6. Re: Travelling form Cherbourg to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:17