We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to France and Switzerland end Oct till mid Nov 2014

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to France and Switzerland end Oct till mid Nov 2014

Hi there,

My hubs and I are planning a trip to France and Switzerland from end Oct to mid Nov for about 18days in total. We are wondering what would be the best way to see both beautiful countries without breaking the bank and what would be the best itinerary of 'must-sees' as we would love to fully utilise the days that we have. We were thinking of balancing out the days equally but am open to any suggestions. It can include:

1) Places of interests

2) Iconic must-sees (besides the super famous ones)

3) Markets - weekend flea/craft etc

4) Food/cafes/restaurants (not necessary Michelin star ones-prefer the homely rustic yummy ones, but if there are some that are an absolute must, we are open to suggestions)

5) Shopping - mainly for me (ideally Prada outlets and watches - cartier, omega and tag)

6) Lourdes - for our pilgrimage if feasible

7) accommodation - not backpackers if possible. open for bed n breakfast etc but not too pricey with easy access to public transport and amnesties, and if possible to nice off the beaten track unforgettable experiences.

Hubs has decided we will not do a self-drive so we will probably have to either join a tour or short day tours when we arrive at each destinations respectively. Any advice on such tours and are they expensive? Or would it be better to just join a tour exiting from our place of origin?

We will be flying out from Singapore so will also need to anticipate the cold. How will the temperature be like?

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and advice in advance.

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to France and Switzerland end Oct till mid Nov 2014

Hello, France is a huge country. You say 'what would be the best itinerary of 'must-sees' '

Its difficult to advise on this without knowing more of your interests.

You say food - I'd check out the Michelin guide for the ones with a knife and fork or a bib goumand for good value nice food. You say shopping - then you probably need to go to a city. Most areas have markets.

You should take into consideration on your planning how you are going to travel around. It would be difficult to stay 'off the beaten track' without hiring a car.

If you want to see the high mountains /French or Swiss Alps it may well be snowing in November. The months you have in mind can be rainy and cool all over France.

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to France and Switzerland end Oct till mid Nov 2014

Thank you very much for your reply. I shall scale down my excitement and review my itinerary with a level head as yes, it's very vague!

Thanks again!

3. Re: Trip to France and Switzerland end Oct till mid Nov 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:17