We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

North Wales UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Hi my wife and I are planning on doing a car driving tour from Calais in August for 18 days and we are looking for some inspiration as to what we should do. We would like to enjoy a varied trip if possible including beeches, mountains, vineyards and quaint French villages.

If you could give us an idea of where you would visit and what you would do if it was your trip it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave & Cerys

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Hello Dave and Cerys,

I can only advise on mountains and that August is a fab month to visit. This part of the French Alps is low season in August. Although everything is open the French like to mainly go to the beach and its too hot for the cyclists who like to ride the famous Tour de France routes. So a driving tour including some time in the mountains and famous Cols is a great idea for August.

If you like walking and great views the ski lifts reopen so you can go the the top 3200m to look at the views. There are also plenty of quant villages, vineyards and wine tasting - and old roman towns and world heritage sites ...

It is a good plan to book your accomodation in advance maybe base yourself in one place for 4-5 days and do day trips from there.

What would I do? Probably stop a couple of times on the way down from Calais eg Reims, Troyes then base myself in the mountains for a week. Then a very scenic drive 5 1/2 hrs through the mountains down the Nice area. Stay in a lovely B&B we found there for another 5/6 days doing day trips and then stop somewhere on the way back to Calais. But then we are biased and love this side of the French Alps and also the South coast!

North Wales UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Hi LeChateaudOz and thanks for your reply,

The trip you suggest sounds very appealing, we love to walk and although we have bever visited the French Alps we have seen pictures and they do look amazing so some time in the mountains followed by a stop in the Nice area would be very nice .

Would you have any advice on a nice area in the mountains to stay at and could I also trouble you for the name of the B&B you use?

Thanks again,

Dave & Cerys

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Davy, google "The Most Beautiful Villages in France". You will get a number of websites and you can then look at the locations of the villages.

If you head down the East (or as I kept on calling the East Coast much to the amusement of my husband lol!!) of France there are some spectacular locations. And some nice wine locations.

Drive down through the Champagne Region and see one or two of the houses - even if you don't like Champagne the region is beautiful. Then down to the Burgundy Region. Its small but lovely. Then head into the Jura Mountains. The wine is less known but very nice. And obviously not something you will pick up in your local supermarkets at home. You could base yourself here for a few days, there are some lovely lakes and you could even take a day trip to Switzerland from here.

Then head down towards Provence. However in August it will be manic so I would suggest you veer over towards the West, away from Nice-Cannes-St Tropez as you will find it difficult to get space on a beach there at that time of the year.

Think about heading back via the West Coast, taking in Cognac - do a tour of the Hennessy Distillery - well worth a visit. The beaches on the West Coast will be less packed and possibly cooler. There are some nice wine regions there. Cut across through the Loire Valley with its spectacular chateaux and lovely wines.

And then pause, as we always do, and try to work out how you can not go home :o))

www.viamichelin.com for directions, distances and times - add on about 10%.

Get the AA Big Easy Read Map as well for the car.

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Hello again, I'll send you a private message ref the accomodation we have used

North Wales UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Some great ideas in there thanks, the areas sound so very intoxicating Champagne, Burgundy and Cognac how could we possibly not go.

Would you advise us to pre-book everything prior to setting off or should we just go and see where we end up? I appreciate that it will be very busy in some areas in August but we do like the freedom to come and go as we please if at all possible.

Are there any areas in particular on the west Coast that you could recommend?

Thanks for your help,

Dave & Cerys

North Wales UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Hi Le Château d'Oz

I have replied to your private message, thank you very much for your accomodation recommendations they are very much appreciated.

Dave & Cerys

Edited: 11 April 2014, 16:34
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

Dave, we stay in camp sites and go in June and July. So, I'm probably not the best for recommending accommodation. However I think you should book accommodation in advance. August is always very busy.

I love all of the West Coast. Some special places:

The city of Biarritz - beautiful but I'm not sure if you will have the time to incorporate it.

La Rochelle, The Ile de Re and the Ile de Normoutier (and the Passage du Gois) http://www.passagedugois.com/

The town of Vannes is also very beautiful brittanytourism.com/discover-brittany/…vannes

And of course the area around the town of Cognac is also lovely.

These are just a few suggestions.

8. Re: 18 day raod trip from Calais in August where should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:16