We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

I am trying to book tickets for a journey and after taking all my information including CC it then says the service is not available and to try later.

I am doing everything the same way I did last week to book tickets and everything worked.

Is something going on today?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,030 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

There may be a glitch, but I can't check on what is going on without actually providing my card details.

Try booking with www.capitainetrain.com which is easier to use and has the same prices.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

Hi, I am having the same problem. Have been trying to book a TGV trip thru SNCF for days and always get same msg after cc details submitted. Same unsuccessful outcome with Captainetrain who advised can't accept a non-French credit card. Seems the whole system is geared to force non-French booking thru RailEurope - huge rip-off as their prices are near double those of SNCF.

Someone suggested using a crazy country of residence like Antarctica but SNCF seem to have covered that loophole by identifying where the cc is from.

Our last option rather than RailEurope is to buy the tickets from a French SNCF office a week prior to travel in mid-June. Does anyone know how crowded the TGV from Paris to Toulouse might be at that time of year? Would buying a week before travel is cutting it too fine?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

Hi Sydneynick, have you actually used Captainetrain sucessfully with an Australian cc? If so, is there some trick to getting around the cc issue?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

I haven't heard of credit card problems with Capitainetrain. I did a recent post about someone having luck on SNCF using paypal.

The problem of waiting to buy tickets is that the price will continue to go up.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

I have recently made purchases on the www.idtgv.com website as well as, just several days ago, on www.voyages-sncf.com.

Both purchases were with a US Visa card and required using ¨Verified by Visa¨ authentication but all went smoothly.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,030 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

>>have you actually used Captainetrain sucessfully with an Australian cc? If so, is there some trick to getting around the cc issue?<<

I suspect that the problem is that you are trying to buy an iDTGV ticket. For some reason, SNCF is very picky about which cards it will accept for these trains, and somehow this also affects CapitaineTrain.

Try booking an ordinary TGV.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

We have finally had success booking through idtgv.com . The cc was accepted after authentication with no problem. Thanks very much for all the helpful information. It became a personal obsession of mine to avoid using Rail Europe. Cheers.

ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

I still am having no success using canadian credit card with secure code on both the sncf.com and idtgv web sites. Refused on both sites. Trying to buy Biarritz to Paris at 72Euro which is almost half of all other fairs.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

When are you traveling?

Edited: 08 April 2014, 12:44
ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what's going on with SNCF ? can't book tickets

June 5 the 10:13 train from Biarritz to Paris. 72 Euro instead of almost double.