We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France v Germany after Holland/Belgium/Lux

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
France v Germany after Holland/Belgium/Lux

Hello,

My wife and I have a trip planned to to to Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg. We have about 10 days for these. We were hoping to travel by car and possible see a few more places nearby. I was wondering if it's better to spend time going to the west on the French side or to the east. The towns on the Rhine look interesting. We love nice villages, vineyards but also appreciate nice architecture, beautiful churches, wineries and the like. Last year we did the Danube in Austrian and were very impressed with the quaint villages and of course Vienna. the Rhine also looks similar but if there's something better on the French side why not? I thank you all in advance for your help.

New York
Level Contributor
496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: France v Germany after Holland/Belgium/Lux

Very tough choices.......we have done both areas driving.

If you decide on Germany ..you can visit Trier Cochem , Burg Elz Castle is in that area & continue to the Rhine area with lovely towns & villages... Bacharach..Koblenz ( where the Rhine & Mosel meet) there is also St Goar.

If you decide to do France...perhaps head toward the Alsace Region with their lovely towns & villages( lots of excellent wines) ...Obernai Riquewhir Ribeauville...Colmar etc etc.

From Strasbourg ( alsace region ) you can drive to Freiburg Germany abt 53 miles or Heidelburg abt 82 miles from Strasbourg if you want a taste of Germany.

Heidelburg Castle would be worth a visit.

You need to plan your days allotted ,driving times & take the time to map your course that suits you.

A Europe GPS is strongly recommended.

2. Re: France v Germany after Holland/Belgium/Lux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 06:16