We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Paris to Rome in August

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Paris to Rome in August

My family and I will be driving from Paris to Rome in August over a two day period. That is a lot of distance covered over two days and I would like some suggestions on the most efficient route. We will have a week on the way back a couple weeks later, so sight seeing will be done then. Any suggestions on the best route? Any major roadways to avoid that time of year?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

Hi Yachets,

We have done this a couple of times and it is a very long way! When you say two days I presume you will only have one overnight stop? I would recommend you stick to the motorway all the way, and go through the Mont Blanc tunnel. When we did it with only one overnight stop we stayed in Les Houches, 5 minutes away from the tunnel, and went through about 7am. We got to Les Houches about 3pm and had a good break before the following day. In August it can be busy going through the tunnel so I would suggest either - stay on the French side and go through as early as you can to avoid any queues, or stay somewhere just over the border on the Italian side and take your chances with a delay at the tunnel. It may sound a bit odd but you do feel just having crossed the border you are much closer, and not dreading so much the long journey of the next day (we dreaded it but you may be different of course!). Also, if there is a delay at the tunnel it doesn't seem that bad when you are almost at your destination for the night - it's more of an opportunity to stretch your legs and have a break for half an hour. However, the advantage of staying on the French side is that you get there in time to have a somewhat more relaxing evening out that night.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

Are you using a rental car? It will cost you a small fortune. It's also a horrible drive. Why don't you fly?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,766 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

StCirq is right about the drive costing a small fortune. According to www.viamichelin.com it will cost approximately 304 euros. This includes 142 euros in tolls and 162 euros for fuel. Plus, at a bare minimum 14 hours of driving.

I'd either fly or take the train.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

Thank you very much for the information. We appreciate your input and will consider the alternatives.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

Thanks for the reply. With the responses so far, I may consider flying.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

Thank you very much for the thorough response. I appreciate it!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

the other bit of information that I did not pass on earlier is that we have a family of 5. Driving probably is still more cost effective. But I will look into the alternatives. Thanks again.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

I had presumed you needed to go by car, so didn't really think about alternatives. For a family of 5 it may be cheaper to fly when you add in the costs of an overnight stay, costs of meal in the evening, drinks, food etc during the journey. If you are staying in central Rome you won't need a car when you are there. Also, it is a very long drive with children, it could be 14 hours if you are lucky, it could be a lot more if you are held up in traffic. Also you lose a day of your holiday, so paying any extra to fly (if it is more) may well be worth it. When we did it we had to go by car, if we hadn't needed to take the car I would have flown.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

I appreciate the added information! We are looking at all options now. Unfortunately, we are not staying in central Rome and are not very close to a subway station, so a car is looking to be essential in Rome. And we may take a day trip or two while there to Pompeii, etc. What day trips would you recommend out of Rome? We will be in Rome for a week. We may even consider leaving Rome for an overnight trip somewhere if it is highly recommended. We hope to have a VW camper van, so camping is an option.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Paris to Rome in August

A car is going to be an enormous liability in Rome - enormous! You don't need to be near a subway in Rome. There are buses and trams, and trains for getting out of town. I'm going to hazard a guess that you will be very sorry you 1) drove from Paris to Rome and 2) you chose to have a car in Rome. I'm guessing your kids will be even sorrier.