We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT question

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
VAT question

Hi all,

Not sure if this question has been answered. I'm traveling to Paris and for my return I'm transferring from London. My questions are do all my items have to be in the original package with the tags attached? Would I be able to show them the items with my purchased receipts and the appropriate forms to get my VAT back? Also since my last EU country is England due to the transfer do I have to claim my VAT in London, if so would I need to get the refund in cash? Also once I received my refund, do they staple or mark anything in my passport and is it nessarary to keep the reciepts to show the Canadian custom?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
572 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT question

The goods are supposed to be exported in unused condition.

You get your VAT forms stamped as you leave London, but I think that normally they would be posted back to Paris for the refund.

No marks or stamps are put on your passport.

You may need to be able to prove the value of the goods to Canadian Customs.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT question

hi

we exited Europe via Amsterdam, we never had to show the goods, only had to get the forms stamped. I was wearing the jacket i bought. The VAT office to get the form stamped is not always obvious you have to ask directions. The forms were then mailed to another European country not even related to the countries we visited.

+you really have to ask to get the VAT forms at the location you buy from, it is not obvious.

an example: bought something at Gallerie Lafayette on the 5th floor and we had to go line up at a counter in the basement to get the correct paperwork.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 07:57
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT question

cbaarch, you were in breach of the rules. Had your goods been inspected, a the officials have every right to do, you would not have got the rebate on the jacket that you were wearing as it was not in an unused condition.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT question

<do all my items have to be in the original package with the tags attached?>

They have to be clearly new and unused. The obvious way to guarantee that is to leave them in the original packaging. Do not pay any heed to the comments in post 2. The rules for VAT refund are quite clear: you must take the goods out of the EU *before* you use them for the first time.

5. Re: VAT question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:16