We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Paris to Provence

Boston...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best way from Paris to Provence

My teenage daughter and I are planning for a trip from Boston to France in June. Her first time to France and I only have been to Paris once 19 years ago. We have about two weeks. We like to visit the must sees in Paris, then head toward south to visit places like Nice, Cannes, Marseille.... Or any recommendations. What will be the best way to travel, fly or rent a car? Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Aiko3460

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Neither. Take the TGV.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Book the long-distance trains now. Tickets for June went on sale in March, and the cheapest tickets may already have sold out on some trains. Discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. See www.capitainetrain.com

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Thank you both. I need to act quickly now.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Unless you and your daughter want to visit some of the wonderful historical sites between Paris and the South of France, I urge you to seriously just taking the TGV from Paris to the South of France, as both Stcirq and sydneynick have recommended..

In order to make any sort of valid recommendations regarding what you and your daughter can / should see in the South of France, we really need to know:

- how long you plan to be in the South of France following your stay in Paris

- whether you have any special interests ( ie. Roman or Medieval historical sites ...)

- whether you will have a car or will have to use public transport to explore the region

It would also help if we knew whether you have to travel back to Paris for your return flight., or have scheduled a flight out of an airport in the South of France that will connect with your return flight to Boston..

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Thank you so much for the reply and kind offer to give recommendations. I've been buried by work and haven't checked at this site for a few days.

We will have to fly back to Paris. In general, my daughter is very interested in historical sites, and I like that too but will enjoy 'cultural discoveries' even more - small villages, markets. Of course, we won't mind spending some (shorter) time on relaxing modern towns. As for historical sites, if we need to pick (reluctantly), then since we've been to Greece and Italy, the sites more unique in France, or related to significant French historical events are preferred.

I can drive, if it is not too hectic and worthwhile. So far I haven"t booked anything other then the flights between Boston and Paris. Is one week in Paris and one week in Provence a good split?

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Sorry, I meant go back to Paris and then fly from there back to Boston. Thanks again.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

I would book an open-jaw ticket: into Paris and out of Marseilles (or Nice). Or vice-versa if you want to end the trip in Paris. Shouldn't cost any more and will save you the time and cost of backtracking to Paris.

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

Thanks. We now have the confirmed booking Boston to Paris, then Nice to Boston.

9. Re: Best way from Paris to Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16