We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Just wondering - looks like a couple of hours each way - and if doable, where would you recommend to go for 2-3 hours before returning to Paris?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

It's possible. But I would not recommend spending nearly 5+ hours on a train to spend a couple of hours in Avignon - that's barely enough time to get to the city center and have lunch.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

It's just about 3 hours each way, plus time at the train stations and time getting into and out of Avignon. Can't imagine making it a day trip, especially when there are a thousand other choices of destinations.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

It doesn't sound appealing at first glance. However, it is technically possible. You could take an early plane on Air France to Marseille (about an hour) and take the quick bus to visit Aix for the day, or rent a car at the airport and head to the Luberon. Visit several small villages there, maybe lunch in St. Saturnin-les Apt. Or find a local market in one of the towns on the right day of the week. Or drive over to St. Remy and look around. Then drive back to Marseille, drop off the rental car and catch a plane back to Paris the same day. Few would choose to do it, but yes, it could be done.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Wow that doesn't sound like it's reasonably doable to me. Any other suggestions for day trips that don't include Versailles, etc.? Thinking more of a charming town with great wine, food, and atmosphere.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,098 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Going to Provence for a day sounds like corporal punishment. Try going to the Champagne region; Reims or Epernay instead. Or visit Monet's Garden in Giverny.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Do you not have a guidebook to France? Or a map of the country? As I mentioned earlier, there are thousands of places to go for a daytrip. The Michelin Green Guides to Paris and France will give you loads of ideas. So will a search on posts by FrenchMystiqueTours here and elsewhere. Plus hundreds of guidebooks geared toward places to visit within an hour or two of Paris.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

St. Cirq we do have a guide book. We are just looking for other's personal experiences and recommendations that may back up the guide book, or tell us something different. Not sure we want to bike 5-6 hours on tour. Thought of catching a train. We wouldn't mind a bike tour around Paris though. Just was wondering if anyone had suggestions - that's all.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Just off the top of my head, Chartres, Troyes, Dijon all are a reasonable train journey out of Paris by train for a day trip, although Dijon would need advance booking for a TGV.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Good, you're from Houston, so what I'm about to say will ring clear for you.

If you think of France as being about the same size as Texas (because it is) -- what would you say to someone who asked if it was possible to visit El Paso as a day trip from Houston?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Provence even possible as a day trip from Paris

Sunshine, from what I have read you could get to Provence in 2.5 hrs by train - in Texas is would be impossible to get to El Paso in less than 10-12 hours. Big difference. That being said, I understand France is big - I didn't know if it was worth the push for a day or of someone could share something as an alternative - I am just asking for help and if it's not possible, then say so! Thanks for your help!