We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying after student visa expires?

United States
3 posts
Save Topic
Staying after student visa expires?

I have a student visa that expires on June 13th. I have plans to stay in France to travel until July 5th. If I am not working or anything, just being a tourist, is it bad that I'm staying past my visa date? Will I be able to fly out of France back to the United States on July 5th without a problem?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

<it bad that I'm staying past my visa date?>

You cannot stay past your visa date.

<Will I be able to fly out of France back to the United States on July 5th without a problem?>

No, not "without a problem": the overstay will be noticed. What the precise consequences will be, I don't know.

According to the French Government's website http://tinyurl.com/k4zum4w , a student visa for a stay of up to 6 months ("visa de long séjour temporaire pour etudes") cannot be renewed and the holder cannot stay in France longer than 6 months.

A student visa for a period longer than 6 months ("visa de long séjour pour etudes") allows you to apply, within 2 months of your arrival in France, for a residence permit for one year, renewable at the prefecture of your place of residence.

So if your student visa is the "6-month" type, you can't stay any longer and it can't be extended. The expiry date on a visa means what it says. You can't simply ignore it and hope no-one will notice.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

The information on this website may also be of interest …service-public.fr/particuliers/F39.xhtml

Scroll down to "Fin du visa".

It says: "If you wish to stay in France, you must submit an application for a residence card during the 2 months preceding the date of expiry of your visa. You must submit your application at the prefecture or sub-prefecture of your place of residence. Make enquiries in the first instance at your prefecture."

I doubt if this is relevant if you simply want to stay for 3 extra weeks to travel around. If you want reliable information about your situation, you should contact whatever French authority you dealt with when you arrived.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

I wonder If the OP leave the Schengen area on or prior to June 13, and then return a few days later under the 90 day tourist visa? Or is there some sort of waiting period?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

I have found the Visa FAQs that I was looking for earlier:

…gouv.fr/fr/…faq-visas

See No 13:

"13. Can I extend my stay in France after the visa expires ?

If you stay in France after the visa which has been issued to you expires, you run the risk of having to pay a fine and/or to have the overstay recorded when you leave France. The Consulate would therefore take into account your illegal stay in France when considering any subsequent visa applications.

If you think that you will be obliged to extend your stay in France after your visa expires for reasons of force majeure, you must, therefore, before your visa expires:

- submit an application for a 'visa extension' at the prefecture of the place where you are staying, with documents justifying your wish for an extension;

- accept the decision taken by the prefecture."

Once again, I don't think this is actually relevant to the OP's situation.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

<I wonder If the OP leave the Schengen area on or prior to June 13, and then return a few days later under the 90 day tourist visa? Or is there some sort of waiting period?>

As far as I know, the "maximum 90 days' stay in any 180 days" principle would apply, i.e. someone in the OP's situation would have to wait 90 days before entering the Schengen Area again.

However, there is some doubt in my mind about how a national long-stay visa (for work, study, etc) affects any subsequent visa-free Schengen Area stay for tourist purposes under the 90/180 days arrangement.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

She needs to ask the appropriate authorities this question. This is the second question about ignoring the validity of a student visa on these boards recently. I think these students have to realise what their visas mean - that they are allowed into the country for a certain time only. If you go to the States on a student visa you can remain for 30 after your course finishes so maybe that is why they think they can remain.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

<She needs to ask the appropriate authorities this question.>

As indeed I said at the end of post 2.

<I think these students have to realise what their visas mean - that they are allowed into the country for a certain time only.>

Yes. The visa gives permission to be in the country for a specified period. The studies are the justification for the visa being granted.

<If you go to the States on a student visa you can remain for 30 (days ?) after your course finishes so maybe that is why they think they can remain.>

I see - that makes sense.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,015 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

I observed a man detained and miss his flight at Schiphol for being beyond Schengen's 90 days. We were at 89 days but were being held for investigation by exit control because we didn't have an entrance stamp (Roman agents are quite lazy about this and sometimes just waive entrants through en masse and we didn't have the good sense to insist on a stamp) We had to provide documents of our stay and were let go -- it took a little over an hour. The other guy didn't have documentation (I believe he had actually overstayed) and he missed our flight. I don't know if they would do that in France but it can happen and that would be an expensive moment,

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

I personally know several people who were detained and questioned, severely lectured, and a few who have been fined (a LOT of money) for overstaying their visas.

EU officials have, in the face of westward migration from developing nations in Eastern Europe, been shutting down the entry paths, with very little sense of humour of accomodating.

You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth criminal charges, substantial financial penalties, and the spectre of being banned from visiting Europe for a few years.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying after student visa expires?

How narcissistic are you? You think you're special? Well, special could mean you won't get back into Europe for a bunch of years.