We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

Hello!

We land in Paris at CDG Airport the morning of August 9 at 6:55 am. We are heading to Beaune that morning and staying a few days there. From Beaune we will take a train back to Paris where we are staying for a few days. I have a few questions about train schedules and would love the help of those who know more about the train system than I do.

I am using this website: www.sncf.com

I am selecting my country as France so I don't get redirected to euro rail.

I am trying to figure out these things:

1. How long will it take me to clear customs in France? We are flying business class on united. not sure if that matters. Once I know that, then I can figure out how early of a train we can take.

2. Should we take a train from CDG to Lyon Part Dieu and then to Beaune? That seems to be what is popping up on the site--but i have seen others saying you must go via Dijon. However, many of those posts are old. Should I put in a different search?

3. Is is better to leave CDG and go to another station in Paris for trains direct or connecting to Beanue?

4. I'm thinking we should buy one way tickets as we will not be returning to CDG by train but another station in Paris. Does this make sense?

5. We are planning to rent a car. Can we pick one up in Beaune or should we pick up in another town like Dijon and drive?

thank you for any help and advice. I don't want to jump into purchasing without a bit more research but I also want to notify our B&B in Beaune of when they can expect us.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,583 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

If leaving from CDG you should allow a minimum of 3 hours to make a train connection, and 4 hours if taking a train from Gare de Lyon. By leaving from Gare de Lyon you will have more options. On a quick check I saw several direct trains to Beaune.

You can take the Air France bus from CDG to Gare de Lyon.

There are no round-trip train tickets. You will just buy a one way for each trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

Thank you! I'm still researching Paris and didn't know what other stations to put in as options to Beaune. I will research Gare de Lyon now as that seems like it may make more sense.

I appreciate the information on timing to clear customs and get to the trains.

Is the Air France bus free or do I need to buy tickets for it? Does it matter if I haven't flown in on Air France?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,583 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

You can just put in Paris - but all trains heading in that direction leave from Gare de Lyon.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

All the trains showing for August 9 right now go through Lyon Part-Dieu. There's nothing wrong with that. I'd schedule the 9:48 or later. BUT, you might want to wait until May 9 to search, as there may be more trains listed then, and the PREMs and Loisir fares may be more prevalent. These show up 90 days out from your date of travel, and you're not quite there yet. I wouldn't bother researching Gare de Lyon, as there are so many trains right from CDG, and it's time-consuming and can be expensive, to get into Paris to another station.

It's not Customs you need to be concerned with at CDG (unless you're bringing things in that need to be declared). It's Immigration, and that can take 10 minutes or an hour. That's why you shouldn't book anything earlier than the 9:58 train.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,583 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

That's interesting StCIrq. My understanding is that the TGV tickets went on sale through August 24 back on April 3rd. But when I check for trains within the 3 month window I see more options from CDG.

I'm wondering if the OP shouldn't just take the TGV to Lyon and rent a car there? I'm thinking that there would be a better selection of rental cars available.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

F1girl, I've been having a hard time understanding what SNCF is doing with its scheduling since early spring. between the scheduling differences between the April 3 date and the 3-month-out-from-travel dates, not to mention all the track work on various lines, it's been a bit of a headache to get it all straight for the past month or two.

I like the idea of getting off in Lyon to rent the car!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

I'm not certain we will want to drive an hour and a half that day as we will just have flown from California and will be traveling for quite a long time and operating on a huge time difference.

Our other concern would be that we only have 7 days in country--including that Saturday morning we land in Paris which is still very much a travel day as we are going to Beaune. We leave the following Saturday mid-morning. It's a very quick trip--sadly!

We are focusing on the Beaune/Dijon area from Saturday-Wednesday and then back to Paris from Wednesday-Saturday. While I don't think driving in France would be boring at all, we are somewhat crunched for time and I wonder if the train may make more sense. I don't know if we will want to drive back to Lyon...but perhaps.

Is renting in Beaune and issue this far out?

Thanks for the tip on waiting until May 9. I do see a number of trains from CDG to Beaune through Lyon part Dieu, but thought it seemed odd as most people seem to say I would go via Dijon. Maybe this is a newer route? Most of the posts are quite old that reference this.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

You are not seeing trains to Beaune via Dijon from CDG as very few trains from CDG go to Dijon, generally they run to Lyon.

If you search from the central Paris stations you will see more options, some via Dijon, some via Lyon. Just enter "Paris" as starting point, not Paris Gare de Lyon, as trains leave from more than one station in central Paris. Using "Paris" will give you all the trains except the ones from CDG.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

No, this isn't a newer route. That's the way it's been for years, AFAIK. And small point, but you wouldn't have to drive back to Lyon. You can easily pick up a car in Lyon and drop it off in Beaune.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with trains from Paris CDG to Beaune--better way?

Thanks for all the info. I know we can do one way rentals, but i know they are typically much more so was thinking we would avoid that. However, I appreciate the advice and will look into all suggestions in navigating the trains.