We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Hello All --

My daughter and I are heading to Europe in a month, with stops in Belgium, UK, France and Ireland. I travel often, but for business. On those trips, my time is not often my own, and the site seeing or other tourist activity I get to partake of is very spur of the moment.

By contrast, we have had this trip planned for months and intend to visit as tourists. We have our plane tickets and hotel reservations, passports in hand, have prepurchased tickets or passes to major attractions (Eiffel Tower, London Eye, etc.), have our train tickets in-hand, have done some preliminary planning of daily itineraries and some mapping, have cleared our trip with the phone company to make sure that we are not overcharged for use, and have plans to call the credit card company.

My question to experienced tourists and European travelers: what have I forgotten? Please share any and all advice on other ways to get the most our of our time in Europe, to reduce unneeded stress and complication, and how to ensure that we give ourselves the best chance to enjoy the trip.

Thank you!

JW

Davidson, NC

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

I usually make copies of my passport and take a copy or two with me and leave one at home - or with someone at home just in same. Also make sure to have all of debit/credit card details written down in a safe place - plus phone numbers to call if something happens.

Make sure you have plenty plug adaptors, if you are taking any electronics.

I usually make an envelope for each location and put all of my important information in each envelope. Hotel confirmations, car rentals, train, event tickets etc...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,277 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Make a table of dates, reference numbers and locations and dates. Send this table to yourself and a number of others. That way even if you lose some of the confirmation data, you will still have the reference numbers and/or others will also have copies of the information should a problem occur.

Make sure you have copies of any prescriptions for medication you are taking with you. Bottles get broken, tablets or inhalers get left behind.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Discuss with your daughter details of how to meet up with one another should you get separated either from one another - or if your phone malfunctions or is misplaced

Edited: 06 May 2014, 00:29
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

I email myself copies of my documentation and receipts and booking information. If I lose any physical copies then I can just head to the nearest internet café to print them out again.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

After losing our luggage on our flight to Europe, we learned that you dont need to bring a lot of clothes! Packing lightly will reduce stress with lugging your suitcase from airport to train/metro, etc. Pack only essentials. Plus it will leave room in your suitcase for purchases while you're there.

Also, recommend doing a lot of research online to see where to go, eat, see do. You'll waste less time trying to figure out where you need or want to go if you already know where you're going :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

>>>what am I forgetting?<<<

Aside from the wise advice already provided, I'd say you're forgetting to relax.

If you've been planning for months, the likelihood is that you've almost got everything covered. But by looking over your itinerary and planning, scrutinising it too frequently, you'll miss something obvious. Walk away from it for a couple of days, and come back to it.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Leave time in the schedule for things to happen. OK have a list of things you would like to see/do in each destination, but it will not be a disaster if you do not tick them all off because you are spending a bit more time sitting in a park or outside a bar watching the world go by.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Call your bank and credit card companies and apprise them of your plans.

Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Travel insurance ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving in one month: what am I forgetting?

Don't forget to stop the mail, have someone pick up newspapers and mow the lawn.