We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do - where to go - HELP!

Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
What to do - where to go - HELP!

We are coming to France on 26 July for a 6 nights/7 day's holidays. We have a rental car and first two nights we have booked to Versailles. But what then? Giverny is one stop on my list, most likely we'll spend a night there and the following day see Monet house and gardens etc. and then head to the next place. Would this be the final place before flying back home?

France has so much to see and to do and I'm already lost.

We would like to explore some nice small towns/villages, maybe see another castle or two, would also like to taste some wine.

We are mid-aged couple without children.

I'm thankful for all tips you can give.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

Since you want to visit Giverny, just continue in Normandy and visit the small town of Petit Andelys; nearby are the ruins of one of Richard Coeur de Lion's castles, Château Gaillard. The larger town of Andelys has an interesting old church, and in Petit Andelys you can walk along the banks of the Seine. We like to stay there at the small hotel La Châine d'Or; get a room overlooking the river. The restaurant is exellent.

Then drive on to see Lyon la Forêt, a very pretty little village. From there you could take the "Abbey Road" to see some of Normandy's medieval abbeys and also the lovely town of Pont-Audemer.

Normandy isn't wine country, but you could sample the excellent soft and or hard cider, as well as the exquisite liqueur Calvados.

Do pick up a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Normandy, which has a number of recommended driving itineraries as well as a wealth of sightseeing information.

Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

Thank you for tips, especially Lyon la Forêt looks lovely. But if we head down to Orleans - Tours direction first after spending weekend in Versailles (we'll start our tour from here) then we have 3 nights 4 days time to get to Giverny. I thing for Giverny one day is enough and on the final day our flight is late in the evening from CDG.

Wine tasting is not a must, but would be lovely. We would try to get in a organized tour.

Too much is too much, cannot fit everything in one week. Should we skip Giverny? We bought a good map to start with.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

You'll have to decide what to see and do and Catallus has given some good tips for Normandy. I'll give you a couple of threads to look through that deal with the Loire and Normandy and they'll give you a general overview of what to see and do in each region, plus other tips about maps, driving, etc.

Loire:

fodors.com/community/europe/france-the-loire…

Normandy:

tripadvisor.com/…39058384

Essex
Level Contributor
27,620 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

Look, you can't see it all in the time you have available. You can't see it all in a lifetime!

So what you need to do,is calm down, pick some of the places that you have always dreamed of seeing, don't get sidetracked by other options, then visit them.

Plot out on a map of France where they are, so you can plan out a logical route, use the viamichelin website to help you plot routes and fathom out journey times, to see if it will be an ultimately feasable plan.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

Don't go to Normandy for wine tasting! If that's high on you list, head up to the Champagne region or down to the Loire Valley.

Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

Hi, I decided to head to Loire and have booked two nights near Amboise. I still haven't given up Giverny, but before spending our last night in Giverny we'll have one stop before. Could you please suggest what route should we take and where we could stay that one night.

We'll will get the wine in supermarket if not anywhere else. lol

We'll come back another time and then concentrate in one region only, let this be now a bit mixture of everything.

TA is great - thank you all!

7. Re: What to do - where to go - HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17