We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel in france

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train travel in france

hi all

just looking for a bit of advice please. I'm travelling to Nice on the 22nd of july this year and making my way to biarritz stopping off at cannes, st raphael, cassis, marseille and then biarritz. I'm looking on various sites for prices and schedules but finding it a little confusing. There seems to be passes but they're for non EU citizens so I'm just wondering a fews things

is it a must to pre-purchase tickets before we travel?

where is the best place to buy these?online? or wait until we get to each destination?

is there a special discount ticket for several trips within the country? like a monthly pass?

i am a little worried about the marseille to biarritz trip as I'm seeing they have 'last seats' comments with some fares?

any advice or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. all our accomm is booked and paid for so our route can't change

thanks a mill guys

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel in france

You do not want a pass of any kind in France. From Nice you can use the commuter-style train along the coast to get many places. Marseilles to Biarritz is an 8- to 10-hour ride and you should be buying those tickets now. The least expensive ones go for sale online 3 months out from your date of travel, and you're already past that - they will only rise in price from here on out. If you are francophone, use www.voyages-sncf.com. If not, use www.capitainetrain.com (exact same schedules, exact same prices). Just do NOT use RailEurope.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,696 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel in france

How much time do you have for this trip? What do you mean by <<stopping off at cannes, st raphael, cassis, marseille>> Are you doing this in one day? Or over several days?

Getting to Marseille is easy, getting from there to Biarritz will be a long journey.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel in france

thanks so much I checked out that website and am booking tickets this evening. Thanks again

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel in france

we are stopping off for 2 and 3 nights in each of the places named above. Trip is just under 3 weeks in total. I was presuming train transport between nice and marseille (stopping off at the places mentioned) would be relatively easy and we could book as we go along and this wouldn't be a problem?? i have looked up website mentioned by StCirq and am going to book the marseille-biarritz train this evening and leave the other transport to do as we go, unless this isn't a good idea? do i need to be worried about august bank holiday there for travelling?

thanks a mill

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel in france

For Nice to Marseille, roughly every second train is a regional one where seat reservations aren't required, prices are fixed and you can buy a ticket on the day if you want. But you can save time waiting in queues if you buy in advance.

The August 15th holiday weekend will be busy, yes, no question about that.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel in france

oh great we'll be gone by then. the irish bank holiday is the first weekend in august so they're obviously different. thanks a mill for you help

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel in france

how to have a train travel in The_Loire_Valley?

there are so many castles, take a look:

www.itourmap.com/city.php…

8. Re: train travel in france

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:18