We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

We are a British couple who have a Chilean family with our godchildren coming to stay with us in September.

No visa required for the UK - no problem.

The plan is to go to Calais by car with Eurotunnel, do some shopping and then drop them off at the TGV station in the evening for them to go to Paris, where they will stay for two nights.

They will then return to UK by Eurostar to carry on their holiday here in England.

Pretty certain they do not need a visa, but all the online advice gets a bit confusing. Shouldn't be a problem, just looking for confirmation that they can travel freely providing they can produce a proof of stay in Paris, and the return tickets to England.

Have I got this right please?

I am afraid the French authorities didn't even bother to reply when I wrote in to query this.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

Even if it is issued at the point of entry, they will need a Schengen three month tourist visa because they will have trouble getting back out again without it.

The French controls at the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone habitually just wave cars with European plates through (in total contrast to the gestapo-inspired arrangements coming back). Make sure that you STOP and get their Chilean passports stamped - they will probably need to show their return Eurostar tickets.

If they don't need to get visas in advance for the UK, then they probably don't need them for Schengenland either, but that isn't an absolute rule and your Chilean visitors should check with the French consular authorities in Chile (or those for whichever country they permanently reside in if it isn't Chile).

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

Thanks for that, they are going to check. Last time we went Eurotunnel the British waved us through and there was nobody in the French booths!

One of them was here last year on a course in Germany and didn't have any trouble when she flew to stay with us. I suppose she had a Schengen visa issued on arrival in Germany, but I didn't ask.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

<Pretty certain they do not need a visa ... Shouldn't be a problem, just looking for confirmation that they can travel freely providing they can produce a proof of stay in Paris, and the return tickets to England>

Holders of Chilean passports do not need a visa for the Schengen Area, of which France is a part.

…gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/getting-a-visa/…

(French Government website with information about visa requirements)

<Have I got this right please?>

Yes.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

<I suppose she had a Schengen visa issued on arrival in Germany, but I didn't ask>

With a Chilean passport she would not need a visa for Germany as it is in the Schengen Area. Schengen visas are not issued to anyone in arrival, except in emergency situations.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

<Even if it is issued at the point of entry, they will need a Schengen three month tourist visa because they will have trouble getting back out again without it.>

Nonsense. Either you need a visa or you don't - it depends only on your nationality. Holders of Chilean passports do not need a visa for the Schengen Area for visits of up to 90 days.

<Make sure that you STOP and get their Chilean passports stamped - they will probably need to show their return Eurostar tickets>

Yes. Non-EU passports of outgoing travellers should be stamped at French passport control.

<your Chilean visitors should check with the French consular authorities in Chile>

No. Schengen Area visa requirements are public information available from countless reliable sources. All you need do is look at the *website* of the Embassy or Consulate of the country you want to visit. See my post 3.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

<I am afraid the French authorities didn't even bother to reply when I wrote in to query this.>

Because it's an unnecessary waste of their time. Embassies/Consulates dealing with visa matters have long since entered the Internet age, like everyone else. Look at the *website* of the Embassy or Consulate of the country you want to visit: all the information you need is there.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

Well thanks, I have just read this

If you can understand that then you are a better man than me.

Most of what I had read seems to indicate they won't need one, but even the answers on here are contradictory, to me anyway.

They are going to check with the French Embassy in Santiago. Like some things on the net an all embracing answer can cause confusion by looking at too many sites as well. It's easy to get punch drunk with information.

8. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2016, 20:29
Edited: 01 February 2016, 20:29
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

<If you can understand that then you are a better man than me>

Of course I can understand it. It is perfectly clear :-)

("1. Short stays (less than 90 days in the Schengen Area) ...

Exempt from visa requirement for France’s territory in Europe are :

nationals of the following countries, whatever the reason for their stay: Albania *, Andorra ... Canada, CHILE, Costa Rica ... ")

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chilean passport holders in France - visa or not?

<Colin knows this stuff!>

Sorry for duplicating your answer, Diz. I wrote post 9 before reading yours.