We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

Level Contributor
351 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

I was just on the scnf website here in the US trying to buy tvg tickets. I found a great price of 216 euros for Nimes-Paris. I started the process of making payment, put in my cc # hit purchase and received the message that "the system is temporarily unavailable, try again in few moments". I didn't even wait 60 seconds before trying again but was forced to start the process all over again, Now the search shows only the higher priced tickets for almost 100 euros more Isn't it a bit strange that the cheap tickets couldn't be processed. Feels like a bait & switch. Is this typical?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

No, it's not typical at all. But neither is a fare of 216 euros from Nîmes to Paris - that's exorbitant. What exact website were you using? Have you tried www.capitainetrain.com?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

What dates are you traveling? I agree with StCirq - 216 euros is a crazy price for this route - unless that's for 4 people.

The SNCF often doesn't like non-French credit cards. You can use www.capitainetrain.com instead as suggested above.

Even checking for a train on Saturday - the day after a strike the fare is 156 euros.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 16:56
Level Contributor
351 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

Actually that IS for 4 people. I just tried to redo the transaction using a different credit card and got the same message. I will try the other website. Thanks

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

Once the SNCF website (I hope you mean www.voyages-sncf.com) rejects a purchase, you will need to wait 24 hours to try again unless you delete all of your SNCF cookies and empty both temp directories, that of your operating system and that of your browser. You will also need to use a different credit card.

I am always able to purchase on that website with a US Visa but the Visa card is registered with the Verified by Visa program. If you have a Visa go to the Verified by Visa website and register it if you have not already done so.

You could also try www.idtgv.com for inexpensive TGV tickets or, if you don´t mind departing from Marne la Vallée, you could try www.ouigo.com

Edited: 12 June 2014, 17:16
Level Contributor
351 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

Tried the website but the prices offered were only the higher ones. It's a one-way trip 2 weeks from now. I'd prefer to pay 216 vs. 308euros. Tried using mastercard and visa and both got bounced out of the official site and I received an automated email from scnf that the transaction failed because of the payment. Any tips on a better credit card to use? It doesn't allow me to use Amex.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

What date specifically?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

With a specific date, we can help. But really, you're very late to be expecting any bargains. The cheap tickets for 2 weeks from now were available 2.5 months ago.

8. Re: cheaper tvg tickets evaporate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:17