We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

D M
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

Planning a trip for April 2015 and want to drive through south of France hopefully Provance, etc.

want to stay in some medieval towns and see some chateaux. Any ideas? Anyone done this trip?

Any recommendations for B&B ? Where would we fly into and out of? Reputable car company?

Thank you all very much.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

Auto Europe is a reputable broker for rental cars.

Which city to fly into and out of depends upon where you want to go. I always factor in flight costs too. Marseille is well-located, but I've never found reasonable priced flights to Marseille and instead have flown into Nice and/or Paris.

From Paris you can take the TGV to Avignon and start your trip in this area, then you could end your trip in Nice and fly home from there.

You're going to have to do some more research to fill in the blanks from there. I'd start by reading several guidebooks to see what appeals to you.

2. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2016, 20:17
D M
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

Both excellent posts and already started to apply advice. Love the Michelin APP. Cities are actually quite close from what I can see

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

Since you will only have 7 nights in Provence, I seriously urge you to consider establishing a well-centered base , or at most two,for the duration of your stay. Why? Because, the region is easily explored via a series of day-trips from a well-centered base, AND, constantly relocating wastes a ridiculous amount of time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

AlpillesGal, I too am planning 8 nights in Provence next year arriving & departing by train from Avignon. We were thinking of splitting our time between Goudes or somewhere near there & either St Remy or Maussane. What do you think?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

sofia2, start your own post. It only gets confusing for you, and us, when you tag onto someone else's.

To the original poster, Provence (please note the correct spelling) is a huge area. Get a Michelin Green Guide or two and start narrowing down your destinations, as there are myriad possibilities and 7 days is a very short time. Not sure what you mean by cities seem to be close - it's true that Avignon and Marseille and Arles and Aix aren't far apart, but are you looking at a map of ALL Provence? Not everything is close, and the scale of the map you're looking at will show that. Depends on where you want to visit.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 03:14
7. Re: Self drive through Provance for 7 nights? Where start/end?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:16