We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Scam France

Rancho Santa Fe...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Scam France

I rented a car using Auto Europe. They contracted with Europecar. My French friend went with me to pick up the car, where we were made to wait needlessly. The guy at the counter told me that he needed the certificate from Auto Europe, I told him he could just print it out, but he refused to do that, so I had to walk back to my friends home to get it. He tried to keep my credit card, but I insisted he give it back to me. He told me that I needed to buy the deductible insurance, which effectively doubled the cost of the rental. I told him that I had used my Visa Gold card that always covers my deductible all over the world with many different rental companies. He told me that Europcar would not accept the Visa insurance. He went on to say that it was illegal to rent a car in France without the deductible insurance. He told me to take it or leave it, and would not rent the car to me without me buying the insurance. The office of Auto Europe was closed, so I ended up buying the insurance. Later that day I was able to get in touch with Auto Europe, they told me to return the car to another office and they would arrange another rental for me without the insurance. I ended up turning in the original rental and renting another car with out the insurance. I was assured I would receive a refund, but still have not received a refund on the insurance. The Europcar office in Sallanches is a Licensee, I believe they make much more money by selling the insurance.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Scam France

1. The Europcar representative couldn't "just print out" your AutoEurope voucher. It gets emailed to you and you only by AutoEurope and you must print it out and bring it with you.

2. AutoEurope has a toll-free number that is open 24/7. The number is on the voucher, which apparently you failed to bring with you. It's a bogus claim that AutoEurope was unavailable to you.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Scam France

Why do you keep posting the same thing?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k75835…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,780 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Scam France

The agent was a jerk about the insurance but I am sort of amazed that you would show up without your voucher and expect to get the car. This is renting a car abroad 101 -- you print out the voucher to present at the agency.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,687 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Scam France

Here's another post by the OP: tripadvisor.com/…59152612

I love when people try to blame others for their own mistakes.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Scam France

Perhaps the "G" in Goan should be switched to an "M"??

6. Re: Rental Car Scam France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:16