We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Europe.

Karachi, Pakistan
4 posts
Save Topic
First time to Europe.

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to visit Europe next month for about 3 weeks. There is one problem though. It is our first visit and we literally have no idea about anything.

One of my cousin came back from vacations last month and he visited France, Italy and Switzerland. I am planning the same. But your help is highly requested.

Both of us are not much into shopping or sight seeing. We like our vacations quite laid back and relaxing. A walk down the beach, a drink by the pool, sunset cruises, etc. One visit to theme/amusement parks is always welcome.

As far as the budget is concerned, we don't want something very extravagant. A good 4 star hotel is not an issue.

Looking forward to your helpful replies.

P.S. I am posting the same to the other respective forums as well.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,555 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Europe.

Seems like this is not the right choice of vacation for you! Although there are good "beachy" places all over Europe, the holiday you describe could be "anywhere" and maybe Goa or somewhere else nearer to home would provide that, at less cost and effort to yourselves and probably better weather, too.

Seems like you also need to do some homework and clue yourselves in. There are plenty of on-line resources to find out about each of the countries you are considering visiting, and clearly you can get on-line, so I suggest you start looking at them, also get hold of some guidebooks.

If swanning around by the beach is more your thing, then just maybe, the south of France is for you. The Italy coast, and perhaps swap land-locked Switzerland for a Greek island, or the Spanish coast....

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Europe.

<<There is one problem though. It is our first visit and we literally have no idea about anything.>>

That is a problem that you can easily resolve. Before you go plunking down a load of money on an expensive trip to another continent that you apparently know little about, it would seem eminently advisable to educate yourself. Fortunately, that is easily done with guidebooks, the Internet, and maps.

Do be advised that if you're going "next month" you've missed out on all the bargain prices. Trips like this need to be planned at least 6 months, preferably more, in advance to take advantage of any possible savings on trains, accommodations, and such.

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Europe.

I agree with StCirq - you have left it late to start booking for August.

In Europe August is high season for beach type holidays as most of Europe is on holiday and the schools are shut.

If you want a laid back relaxing holiday then dont come during July or August - September would be ideal, still warm, children back at school so not as busy everywhere.

Europe is huge so you should definitley look at some guide books to decide where to go.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Europe.

Do you hold passports for an EU country, or for a country whose citizens can make short tourist visits to Europe without a visa?

If not, I doubt whether you will have enough time to obtain Schengen visas. You have to apply to the consulate of the country where you intend to spend the most time and you should consult their website for details of the application process.

5. Re: First time to Europe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15