We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dordogne or vezere

Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Dordogne or vezere

Which is better for canoeing or are they both worth doing ?

Also any recommendations for a kayak canoe rental firm?

And is there anywhere to do rafting ?

Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dordogne or vezere

The Vézère is faster and wilder, making it more difficult to pull over. And it doesn't go by as many castles or have as many beaches. The Dordogne, on the other hand, is jam packed in the summer months, and the Vézère never is.

Most places that rent canoës also rent kayaks. Here is the place I normally rent from: http://canoe-roquegeoffre.com/

I've never seen a raft on either river.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dordogne or vezere

these are not white water. These are pretty lazy rivers with only sporadic fast water -- almost none at all on the Dordogne, occasional and completely NOT white on the Vezere.

These are lazy-afternoon excursions, not adventures.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dordogne or vezere

We have done long stretches of each and the Dordogne is hands down more interesting. We also managed to capsize by being pulled into trees by shore with fast water -- this was however not the wildness of the river but the stupidity of the canoeists. We went along the edge to avoid a big raft of weed in the middle and got caught . Not big problem except for having to canoe the rest of the way soaking wet -- 5 hours.

The Dordogne runs through gorgeous country -- small picturesque towns, castles etc. The Vezerre (we canoed from above Les Eyzies to Lemieul) was rather boring with little of interest on the shortline.

both these rivers are placid and easy canoeing.

janettravels.wordpress.com

Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dordogne or vezere

Thank you all.

i should point out that i was wondering if there was any rafting in the region and not on those rivers.

thank you!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dordogne or vezere

No, there are no rivers big or fast enough to raft in the area.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dordogne or vezere

france-rivieres.fr/18586-aventure-plein-air

This is the only place I know of that offers rafting, but having a very clear idea of what the river is like around St-Léon, it's hard for me to imagine that it's much of a thrill.

There aren't any other rivers in the Dordogne. There are tributaries, but of course by definition they are small offshoots of the two main rivers. If you want "real" rafting, you'd be better off somewhere like the Gorges du Tarn.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dordogne or vezere

Timely, we just arrived in the Dordogne and are searching for a place to book a canoe trip down the river. I'm assuming they truck you up river at predetermined places depending on how long one wants to head down river,, drop you off, and you float/paddle downstream to your starting point.

Any favourites? We have two strong teens and two reasonably fit parents in our group of four.

Crossing fingers for decent weather for the balance of the week,

Michael

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dordogne or vezere

Hi, SR.

See my post # 1, where I gave a link to the place I like.

I always kayak, BTW. Much easier to maneuver when the rivers filled with people and boats (and even when it isn't).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dordogne or vezere

We just followed a sign to a place below Le Roque Gageac and they carried upstream and we spent most of a day, including stopping for lunch at a bankside cafe, on the river. This is a very picturesque part of the river.

We encountered no rafts of weeds or such problems on the Dordogne where we canoed pretty much in the center. It was near shore under some trees on the Vezere that we tanked.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dordogne or vezere

St. Cirq, thanks, just back from dinner (a great home style place picked on a whim - the couple who run the place were lovely folks) and happened to pick up a brochure from http://canoe-roquegeoffre.com/

I also prefer kayaks myself for a mixed group - I can paddle a canoe solo (when the other tires) but it's easier to propel a kayak solo if need be.

Only question: Enter at Carsac and do the full 28km, or halve it and enter at Les Pendoilles/La rocque-Gageac?