We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 days in France

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
30 days in France

We are very keen to travel to France in 2015. We would like to spend an adequate time in Paris to see experience and see all the sights and then would be keen to base ourselves in 3 or 4 other central places throughout the countryside. Can anyone please suggest some good bases for our adventure. Should we rent a car or use trains? I am also wondering if it would be worth flying into France and out of Rome? With thanks for any help you can offer.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
503 Reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
629 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 days in France

Your "plans" are so unformed that it's time to get out the guidebooks and maps. We're not travel agents. We help people who have actually spent some time and effort in trying to put together a plan. When you have one, do come back, and everyone here will help you refine and offer suggestions.

You haven't shared a single thing about yourselves in terms of your ages, your budget, your interests, your experienc, or how much time you have for this trip, which is crucial - all we know is you are very "keen" to do whatever it is you want to do. Not much to go on, as everyone is "keen" to do myriad trips all around Europe if they can. "Keen" doesn't help plan a trip. You mention spending time in 3-4 places in France, and then,out of the blue...Rome. Why Rome?

Could you possibly be more specific? If not, no one can possibly be helpful. Sorry.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 30 days in France

Some trip like this one?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30 days in France

With 30 days I would choose a car (rental or lease, though we have found rental cheapest) Fly into Paris and get the car at the airport and drive a short distance, say to Giverny and stop for the night.

You need to choose several bases and stay there for longer periods. Don't make the mistake of road trips with a night or two in each spot. Better a base and then day trips out to the surrounds. Relocation loses valuable holiday time so minimise the number of changes.

Choose areas. Maybe the Loire, Dordogne, Provence (maybe 2 bases here) maybe a wine centre such as Epernay for Champagne in the north east or Bordeaux in the south west. This is where you need to pore over those guide books because the districts of France are numerous, all have their charms, and you cannot possibly see them all.

Drop the car on return to Paris and spend maybe a week there before flying out. Always end in the city from which you will fly home. It avoids last minute travel problems.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30 days in France

As someone who is on the final legs of a month-long visit to various regions of France, St-Cirq's comments resonate with me. I could expound on why we made the choices we did, but without knowing more about you, I could be wasting my time if your objectives and preferences and ages and abilities are vastly different than mine and my wife and teen-age kids's.

What I can say is that France is a big place (we'll have covered more than 3,300km before we are done and that's not nearly enough), feels like different countries in many regions (a plus), and that for us a month won't be enough. We choose to drive, for flexibility. We are not unhappy with that decision.

When we first started planning our trip we toyed with the idea of incorporating a visit to part of Italy but quickly discounted that thought, preferring to have as much time to explore France as we could. We are not unhappy with that decision and can't imagine shortening our stays in any of the regions of France we are visiting in order to visit another country.

Level Contributor
323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30 days in France

My husband and I are doing 30 days in France this September. We started by booking our flights with our long saved air miles. We initially thought we would rent an apartment "live like a local" and stay n Paris the entire time. The trip "evolved" for us over the next three months due to reading posts on TA, refining our plans through research and now we are nearing our time to travel.

We will not stay in an apartment after all. We do not speak French ( even though we are practicing with Duolingo app) so we decided n a reasonable hotel in the 6 th to be near attractions we hope to see. We will be in Paris two weeks, then travel with friends by train to Normandy and spend 4 days. Then, take a train back through Paris and on to Provence for a week stay in the Luberon area in a town called Bonnieux. The final three days will be in Nice and we fly back to California from there. It has been wonderful reading trip reports here n TA. Some posters have become friends through personal emails back and forth. The planning has been fun and educational. I have 3x5 cards with attractions and restaurants by arrondissment thanks to a posters recommendation on TA. We decided not to travel to Italy although it was tempting to do Venice...that will be a future trip.

Enjoy the process and know that it will be worth the time spent to plan your journey well!

Edited: 21 July 2014, 00:16
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30 days in France

As others have said, it depends on what you want to do. The trains are great for getting you to large places, so if you want a city based trip, that is the way to go. If you want to get out into the countryside and stop in smaller towns and villages, then having a car is better.

France is a large place with many diverse regions. So get a map and some guide books and become familiar with the regions and their proximity to each other. Then plan a trip that flows well through what you choose and for the time you have. We are in the more time in fewer places camp, but that is your decision. And accept that you cannot see it all in thirty days.

Via Michelin is useful for trip planning. It gives approximate times [ no allowance for stops or delays ], alternate routes, tolls on autoroutes.

Good luck with planning.

7. Re: 30 days in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 05:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now