We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Citations

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Citations

I received two traffic citations from obscure traffic cameras in Italy two years ago, which arrived six months after returning from our trip. I have refused to pay the huge fines and now I have an American-based collection agency on my tail.

Question: If I rent a car from a different rental car agency in France will my violation in Italy become a problem? The agency in Italy two years ago was Auto Europa and now I will be renting from Europcar. Thanks for any help fellow travelers can provide. Al Fletcher

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Citations

Probably not. Your Italian rental company will not know whether you have paid the fine. Even if it did, it probably would not share the information with any French rental company (even one with the same brand name).

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Citations

If you received two traffic citations in Minnesota, would you refuse to pay those, too, and just hope that if you moved to a different county it wouldn't matter any more?

What would you do if you heard of a foreigner who visited the US and got a traffic citation but decided that since he was a tourist, he didn't really need to pay them?

Pay the traffic fines like the decent human being we're sure you are.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Citations

I hope the collection agency has reported it to the credit bureau and ruined your credit. Have you checked your credit report recently? What purpose does refusing to pay serve?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Citations

Oh, you are probably screwed. Have you checked your credit report?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Citations

I find it curious that people so easily rationalize their culpability when receiving tickets. The auto rental company will have no knowledge of the tickets you may have received but the advice to check your credit report is solid.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic Citations

Chances are Al Fletcher that your name will be flagged up in large bold type at immigration - whichever country you rent the car from.

You committed the crime.....now pay the dime!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic Citations

Thank you Sydneynick for your helpful reply.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic Citations

You can check your credit report for free at www.creditkarma.com , Their information is pretty reliable - you just need to ignore all of the ads for credit cards.

I run a credit union and see all sorts of collection items on credit bureau reports, so I would be surprised at all if your traffic fine has been reported by the collection agency. This is one of their collection tools.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic Citations

Be aware that if you are controlled in Italy, things can be nasty for you.

They start to really follow up traffic violators - they will not check you at border, but if you're involved in a car accident for instance, they'll make the link and you may suffer.

And countries in Europe start to exchange their files. Prosecutions goes accross borders for Europeans, not sure how far it goes for oversea people. But if your fines are so huge, there may be a reason for it (like really trespassing the limits) and you might be on top of these (potential) exchange files...

Might be a good idea to check.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 23:38
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic Citations

might be an even better idea to suck it up and pay the fines like a responsible adult.