We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regions

Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Regions

My husband & I are flying to Paris mid-October and will have about a week to explore a new (for us) region outside of Paris with a rental car. The only regions we have already been to are the Loire Valley and the French Riviera. We would like suggestions for what our next area(s) in France should be that would be nice in mid-October and reasonable to travel through in 7 days. We enjoy photographing beautiful scenery, hiking, art, museums, and visiting historical sites. We enjoy staying in accommodations that are reflective of the area (B & B's, castles, small hotels, etc.). Our travel style is relaxed and casual (as opposed to ritzy). We can either drive from Paris or fly to a region and rent a car so distance from Paris is not a consideration. Would appreciate any suggestions for the next great area of France to visit. Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regions

Burgundy, Provence, and the Dordogne come to mind for me.

Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regions

Thank you. I'm going to start researching your suggestions now.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regions

You could add Alsace, Normandy & Brittany to that list.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,347 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regions

Honestly, you could just pin a map of France on your wall and throw darts at it. So far, we have stayed in 50 different towns in France, and not one of them has been a dud.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regions

Although Brittany is lovely, mid-October can be "iffy" weather. I'd research Burgundy and Dordogne.

Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regions

Yes, those were of interest to me also. Thank you.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regions

Alsace or eastern Languedoc, around Uzes.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Regions

I urge you to seriously consider looking into Provence, which is drop-dead beautiful, AND contains some of the best preserved Roman ruins in the world.

It is a region that is easily explored via s series of day-trips - thus eliminating the need to constantly re-pack and move ...

Edited: 10 August 2014, 04:11
Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Regions

Thank you. I think I'm beginning to narrow it down to Provence. Any special recommendations?

10. Re: Regions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 06:17