We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Geneva to Chamonix

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Geneva to Chamonix

I intend to travel to Chamonix during second week of September. I shall hire a car from Geneva airport and drive to Annecy and then to Chamonix. Is it a good idea to make this trip at this time? Do I need winter tyres for the trip? Is the drive dangerous? Any help/experience please share

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Geneva to Chamonix

In areas of Europe where it is customary (or compulsory) to fit winter tyres, they are usually used between the end of October and the end of March (or possibly a bit later depending on the weather in a particular year) - very roughly that corresponds to the period of winter clock time.

The most difficult thing about driving a hire car from Geneva airport via Annecy to Chamonix is deciding whether to hire the car within the Swiss or French sectors of Geneva airport. One hired within the Swiss sector will inevitably bear a Swiss autoroute vignette for the year in question, while one hired within the French sector may have one or it may not.

In theory it is possible to drive from Geneva airport towards Annecy without ever going on to a Swiss autoroute, and I have, in fact, done so several times. However, the route avoiding the autoroute isn't signed (deliberately?) and it isn't very obvious, and it is very easy to get on to autoroute by accident, especially as the Swiss sign their autoroutes in green rather than blue, i.e. follow a green sign saying "ANNECY" and you are on the autoroute.

You may only be on the Swiss section of this autoroute for a few minutes, but it must be one of the best policed stretches of autoroute in Europe and you run a high risk of landing a huge fine for having no vignette, which, in itself, is quite expensive for the use of just a few kilometres of autoroute even though it will remain valid for the return journey.

2. Re: Driving from Geneva to Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16