We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Southern France

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
What to see in Southern France

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations of where to visit and stay in Southern France. We have 10 days in October and will be travelling with our 4 year old daughter. We will be arriving in Nice and making our way via car to Spain and want to stay a few nights in a couple of places as well as hoping for some suggestions for day trips. We don't necessarily want to visit only big cities but would prefer some variety, maybe a winery area, something our daughter might enjoy as well? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Luke.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
571 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in Southern France

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum. Can you please tell me which guidebook you're using to help you plan your vacation ?

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in Southern France

Lonely planet mostly

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in Southern France

I hope you aren't thinking of renting a car in France to drop off in Spain because it will cost you €€€€€€€€€ !

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in Southern France

Two places where natural water flowing is very picturesque are Moustiers-Ste-Marie and L'Isle-sur-La Sorgue. They are far enough apart to put you in two different areas of Provence and have different elevations. And yes, you might think about dropping off the car in France just before the border with Spain and taking a train from there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in Southern France

Does the 10 days include any time in Nice?

I've done the drive from Nice to Barcelona and back. And my favorites were seeing the Cathar castle Peyrepertuse and spending 4 nights near Uzes and taking little day trips from there. My favorite being to Aigues Mortes in the Camargue.

On previous trips I had already seen Cassis and the Calanques, the hill towns in the Luberon, Aivignon, Les Baux, St. Remy, Arles and Nimes. If time permits I would also suggest a stop in Cadaques, Spain and a visit to Salvador Dali's house.

There's so so much to see in this area. I would suggest looking at several guidebooks to see what appeals to you. You can't see it all.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,781 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see in Southern France

You must hug the coast from Nice at least to Marseilles to get anything out of this. The motorway bypasses everything of interest(that's what motorways are for) and you will only see the back of big trucks -or worse the front in your mirror.

On the route Antibes, Juan les Pins, Cannes, The Golden Corniche of the Esterel coast, the St Tropez peninsula, le Labandou,the Giers Peninsula, Cassis and The Calanques.

Around Nice 70 plus unique hill villages, the fabulously scenic Villefranche and (if you must) Monaco.

Personally I would fly from Marseilles to Barcelona and avoid a boring unscenic coast consisting largely of sand,salt pans and a strong Mistral wind.

Ed

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see in Southern France

Thank you for these suggestions and for the tip about the cost of drop off in Spain. I think we will drop the car at Perpignan and train to Barcelona to save ourselves a lot of money. Yes the 10 days does include Nice - it's not a great deal of time which is why we really only wanted to pick 3 or 4 places to stay and then a few day trips. I am also going to grab a guide book - any good recommendations welcome! Thank you for your suggestions so far!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see in Southern France

IMHO, The best guidebooks for France are the Guides Michelin -

Since you are starting in Nice, and heading toward Spain, I urge you to seriously consider getting the Michelin Green Guides for:

- Provence

- Languedoc, Roussillon, Tarn Gorges

Also, keep in mind that the the Michelin Maps, in the Local Series ( for your trip, you should think about # 340, # 339, and #344 ) are the absolute best ways of exploring a totally gorgeous, and super - historical region .

Tubingen, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see in Southern France

Can you please send me your travelers guide to Provence. We are leaving in a week and only just saw your old post where EVERYONE wanted a copy. We are still looking for a very nice, relaxing place with pool, etc if you have any suggestions!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see in Southern France

Hi Trish2001,

Will be glad to send you the info - just send me a PM with your e-mail.

AlpillesGal