We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single train tickets

NY NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Single train tickets

Hi,

I'm traveling with two friends, one way, from Paris to Vire (Normandy).

Rail Europe is ridiculously overpriced compared to SNCF Voyages, but when you put in your nationality as American, they route you directly to the Rail Europe site. I tried to register as a UK citizen but when I went to pay for the tickets, it asked for a UK postal address.

Can you buy tickets day of at the train station? It's an inter cities train.

Suggestions very much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,585 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single train tickets

Go to en.voyages-sncf.com/en

On the first screen, give Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country". You can then buy without giving your address. You will be offered the option of collecting the tickets from a machine, but you probably will not be able to do this, as the machines require a chip-and-PIN card. You will be able to collect from a staffed ticket office or an SNCF boutique shop.

Or you should be able to buy at the same price from www.capitainetrain.com

You would be able to buy on the day of travel, but you will pay full price.

NY NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single train tickets

Thank you so so much! I will give this a try.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,751 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single train tickets

To avoid the frustrations of the SNCF and their allergy to US-issued credit cards, I'd suggest just booking at www.capitainetrain.com

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single train tickets

The Paris to Vire route has e-tickets available, which make it even simpler. As per previous posts, no need to give an address, and the e-ticket (print at home) saves you the bother of having to retrieve a physical ticket at the station.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single train tickets

I recently booked tickets from Paris to Avignon for four adults on www.capitainetrain.com/, based on recommendations on Trip Advisor. I found the site much easier to navigate than SNCF. I got an immediate confirmation with tickets I can print at home, and I got a great price (25 euros each one way) by selecting non refundable tickets. I figured our trip insurance would cover anything except missing the train. There were several pricing options--I selected the cheapest ones. Supposedly, the sooner you book your tickets, the better chance you have to get the best price.

One word of advice. Call your credit card company first to approve the charge, especially if you have one that is very touchy about foreign transactions. The first time I did this, I didn't get a confirmation email. After several days, I emailed Capitainetrain and received a reply within an hour and found out why--my credit card company was the problem. Called the company (Schwab), a representative stayed online with me while I made the reservations again (Capitainetrain had informed me I would have to make the reservation again), and this time I got an immediate confirmation. I read that Capitainetrain gets a commission from SNCF, so their prices are the same, and it's much easier for Americans to book this way!

6. Re: Single train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16