We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journey from Rome to Paris - flight or train?

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Journey from Rome to Paris - flight or train?

Hi,

I am going to make a journey from Rome to Paris as a part of my Europe trip towards the end of November. I have a choice of flying to complete the journey fast, or by train to enjoy the scenery.

Is the scenery worth spending the extra time for the train journey? Is the road scenoc enough to make the compromise? Remember that it will be winter - so the greenery may not be there.

Thanks,

Vivek

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Journey from Rome to Paris - flight or train?

At the end of November you do not have many hours of dayligt. The weather is quite likely to be cloudy and grey if not actually raining. You would have to change trains at least twice (in Milan and either Lausanne or Geneva) if you were going to take the most scenic route, and in any case it would take you about 14 hours.

Unless you were going to take two days to make the trip I honestly don't think the train is worth all the extra time and aggravation (and possibly cost) in November — though the scenery, particularly between Milan and Geneva IS spectacular.

Not sure if you already have an airline in mind, but EasyJet flies from Ciampino (CIA) to Orly (ORY), which would be my preference, Air Berlin from Fiumicino (FCO) to CDG, and Ryanair (which would be my third choice) from CIA to Beauvais (BVA).

Good luck!

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Journey from Rome to Paris - flight or train?

Thank you very much. I choose flight. I had Ryanair in mind, but will check out easy jet also.

3. Re: Journey from Rome to Paris - flight or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:33