We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
338 reviews
Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Hello folks, Rick Steves article planted the idea of Alsace in my head. I will be arriving in Geneva by air. I will not have a car and will use train or bus to get to various places. I will also be leaving from Geneva.

I am a senior not into museums. More interested in just being in a small town and relaxing. Coffee, cheap eats totally unpretentious. So let us assume my flight lands in Geneva mid morning.

I want to find a base which I assume might be Colmar to visit a few towns/cities such as Strasbourg or any others people might recommend.

Idea is to find the best place to get to/from Geneva first. I can always take the train or bus for day trips elsewhere. I do have a disability which is why I am not into hiking.

I gather must sees are Colmar and Strasbourg.

cheers and merci

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
138 reviews
1. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

www.deutschebahn.de (German railways) is a good site for all European train routes and timings. To get to both Strasbourg and Colmar (and elsewhere in Alsace) you'll have to change trains at Basel ... very easily done.

Please note that this forum is not intended as a tour agency or for planning itineraries ... but there are plenty of ideas on TA and by looking at websites such as Tourisme Alsace and the tourist boards of individual villages and towns.

You don't say when you plan to come ... that may make a difference to your plans, also if you are travelling on your own, accommodation may be more expensive. Colmar may be a good place to base yourself, with a day trip (or two, or an overnight or two) in Strasbourg.

Edited: 27 August 2017, 21:02
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
338 reviews
2. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Actually I have been on tripadvisor for some time and I can tell you that people do use it for itineraries very very often. I have been to 83 countries and have used this site often for advice.

CA
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Why in the world are you going to Geneva and not Paris? Not only is it one of the most boring cities in Europe, it is much further away. Re #2 the idea here is to post a tentative itinerary for constructive comments.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
138 reviews
4. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

As regards itineraries, I have done so for many years on this site, but find that the OP does not provide enough information although some is given. Rick Steve, Trip Advisor reviews, Lonely Planent and Le Petit Futé offer plenty of ideas online for where to visit. I consider it helpful to tweak someone else's itinerary from local knowledge but as I am not a travel agent, or tour operator, I do not supply 'ready-made' itineraries. Besides, with no budget indications or comfort requirements as regards accommodation from the OP, the remit is far too large. The resources quoted above will certainly suggest unpretentious places to eat and stay.

TA is a source of local information and opinion, not a travel agency. I have already suggested Colmar as a base, a good website for European train information, and local reference websites for accommodation and places to see. Not a bad start, but it's up to the OP to follow up, start his/her own planning and then return for advice and tweaking.

CA
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Train schedules on the german rail site, tickets here:

https:/…fahrplan.xhtml

I suggest you head directly to Colmar [from Geneve Aeroport], 4 hours. Strasbourg there is a little tourist train at the cathedral, handy for an overview before heading out on your own. The city center is compact.

Back to Geneva, perhaps a stay for a couple of nights in Lausanne, 45 minutes to the airport on flight day.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Geneva isn't really a very convenient airport to fly into for Alsace. It may not look far away on a map but there is a mountain mass in between that doesn't facilitate convenient transit routes, even with a car let alone by public transport.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
338 reviews
7. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

I think I am going on after this. I think I am best to fly to Strasbourg from Canada. I have been to Paris a few times been to most of Europe for that matter. Sounds like Colmar fits the bill for the most days. Thanks

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
138 reviews
8. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

Strasbourg wants so hard to be a good airport ... but I'm not sure how you'll fly to Strasbourg from Canada concerns me ... if you are flying via Paris CDG please note that the Air France 'flight' to Strasbourg is actually a special TGV train, and if you were planning to fly via Frankfurt, the Lufthansa (and itscodeshares) flight to Strasbourg is a coach service arriving outside the train station. Please be careful what you wish for!!!

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

But either of those, TGV from Paris or dedicated bus from Frankfurt, are generally more convenient than trying to access Strasbourg from Geneva, particularly as Switzerland uses a different currency (Swiss Franc).

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
138 reviews
10. Re: Alsace- one week tour Geneva arrival

You're spot on becasse, but I was assuming that the OP was taking the train to Colmar from Geneva and just doing a day trip (or two) to Strasbourg .... need more concrete info from the OP!