We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay as a base?

Boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay as a base?

I'm looking to go to Alsace in October. We mainly want to see the lovely villages, taste wine, eat great food, and relax. We will probably visit one or both of Colmar or Strasbourg for an afternoon each but thought perhaps we'd enjoy the peaceful small villages as a hotel base and explore from there. We have 4 nights in the area and will have a car, howevever, our preference would be to be able to walk to restaurants in town that we are staynig rather than drive around at night since we'll be driving around during the day.

I'm hoping to get input on where to base the hotel. We were considering Ribeauville and Hotel Clos St Vincent. Any thoughts on this for what we want to do? Should we do 2 nights here and 2 elsewhere (perhaps even Colmar or Strasbourg?). 1 night in the "city" and 3 here? Is another small town/hotel better?

Thanks!

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay as a base?

There are plenty of small villages to choose from so go for ones with good comments in the forums. I once stayed in Rouffach and it's lovely, maybe 2 nights is plenty as it's small.

germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay as a base?

I visited Alsace last year because I have family there. They took me to Saverne, in the North part of the Vosges. I want to recommand you the town of Saverne, not as base for staying during you stay as it is 1 hour west of strasbourg and a bit out of the way from the traditional wine villages, but as a place to visit, it is charming, with a very very cute although small historical center with beautiful buildings, a big castle and a canal. And very nice patisseries... It also has a lot of hotels and restaurant to offer.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay as a base?

I'm probably too late, but I just got back from Alsace and stayed at Hotel Kanzel, and loved it. It's in the village of Beblenheim, which is lovely but kind of quiet, but very near all the places you'll want to see. AND they drive you to dinner and pick you up so you don't have to worry about drinking, driving, getting lost. The accommodations are fantastic - views - middle of vineyard, etc. I just posted a review.

4. Re: Where to stay as a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 18:19