We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

montana
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

We (a couple only) are planning to be in the Colmar/Wine Route area for 4 days in October. Does anyone have personal experience with an apartment or small home rental? Also, can you recommend any of the villages, such as Kayserville. Thank you.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

I have used www.homelidays.com a couple of times to find apartments to rent and found it quite good - it puts you in direct contact with the owner, there are a few other similr sites but I haven't tried so can't recommend them personally.

Some of the nicest villages are tourist traps in high season, but in October they are all pleasant. My favourites are Eguisheim and Ribeauville. Kaysersberg (not Kayserville) and Riquewihr are also nice. It is also worth looking on the tourist office websites for accommodation contacts, aswell as hotels they mostly have listings for gites and apartments eg http://www.ot-eguisheim.fr/hebergement.html

Have a good trip.

montana
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

Thank you so much for the helpful information.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

Might I suggest that you contact the Departmental Tourist Office of the Haut Rhin (68) and ask them to send you their listings of HEBERGEMENT and GITES that have been approved by them. This will give good listings.

Now is certainly the time to book your accommodation (Hebergement).

Pretty villages I can recommend in the area include; Turckheim, Bergheim, Eguisheim, Riquewihr, Kaysersberg, Orbey, Labaroche, Katzenthal, Rouffach, Gueberschwihr, Herrlisheim and Ammerschwihr for starters! They all have tourist offices which have lists of accommodation available, and you should be able to contact them all on the internet.

Please note that you should hire a car as the area is very beautiful - the Vosges mountains and the Munster valley - and whilst there are trains to Munster, and the odd bus, they are really linked to school and work schedules so do not run throughout the day.

You might also consider renting an apartment in Colmar itself. Again I would suggest that you contact the Tourist Office who have details of accommodation offered locally.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

We stayed at a charming, authentically restored apartment built into the ramparts of the medieval village of Riquewihr in Oct. There is a two bedroom, two bath apt., a one bedroom, and a studio. Riquewihr is a bit "kitschy" and busy with day trippers, but it is a lovely little village in the morning and evenings, and we did day trips to other towns, villages during the day (and became daytrippers there! :-))

www.i-love-riquewihr.com

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

My wife and I just rented an apartment in Katzenthal for our mid-June vacation. Obviously, we don't know with certainty what we'll get, but it looks nice, rated 3 epis at gites de France. We're crossing our fingers.

One thing is clear: rental prices in Alsace are very inexpensive, especially by Paris standards.

:-)

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

Katzenthal is a lovely village situated between Ammerschwihr, Ingersheim and Turckheim. You will really enjoy your time there - it's beautiful and well-situated for exploring the Route des Vins and the villages as well as Colmar and Germany and the Black Forest. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need specific information. I'll be delighted to help.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

Thank you for that offer, it is very gracious, and I may have some questions for you as we draw closer.

My wife and I have previously traveled to Alsace in 1990 and 1997, staying in Hunawihr and Riquewihr. We love the region, and are looking forward to exploring the small towns in more depth than we've previously done.

8. Re: Recommendations for Vacation Rental near Colmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 08:18