We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

My husband and I will be traveling to Alsace in early April - one night in Strasbourg and two nights in Kaysersberg. One of the days in Kaysersberg we would like to spend traveling along the wine route and do tasting. Are there cabs or tour companies that do the wine tours/tastings? We obviously want to try several, and do not want to drink and drive.

Thank you!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
138 reviews
1. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

Please contact me by private message.

London
3 posts
2. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

I am need of the same advice. My friend and I want to try the different wine but not drive, any suggestions

London
3 posts
3. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

I am need of the same advice. My friend and I want to try the different wine but not drive, any suggestions

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
138 reviews
4. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

Do you feel comfy about posting your dates and where you will be either here or by private message. I have tried to make enquiries from both the Bas Rhin and Haut Rhin tourist offices, but there has been a deafening silence from both and no reply to my email!!!

You could contact the CIVA in Colmar - the professional association of winegrowers at www.vinsalsace.com and see if they could offer you a guided tour.

I had hoped to help Amy personally but she was coming when I was away in Berlin.

London
3 posts
5. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

My friend and I will be traveling through the wine trail on May 1st and May 2nd. We werent really sure how it works. If we can just stop off at the vineards for tastings or if we needed to be on an organized tour. Do you have any recomendations on where we should stop? Or if any of the trail is better then the other? Thanks for all your help!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
138 reviews
6. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

You will be here in two weekends' time ... the Saturday is a BANK HOLIDAY which means that the tourist shops, cafés and restaurants will be open, but banks and other shops and services will not.

It isn't clear what you mean by 'the wine trail' - I presume you mean the Route de Vins which stretches from THANN in the south of Alsace to Marlenheim in the North.

You will need to hire a car to visit the villages because there are no bus services that serve the villages as such and certainly not at weekends. The only other alternative is to contact the CIVA or the Colmar Tourist Office and see if they can suggest individual guides who can take you around. This will obviously be a paid service.

You could take a train south from Colmar to Rouffach and walk into the vineyards around Gueberschwihr and Pfaffenheim from there, or walk from Colmar to Eguishei, or, perhaps even better, take the Munster Valley train from Colmar station and get off at Turckheim ... a beautiful wine producing village with lovely architecture and taste the wines there if you didn't want to drive.

To answer your question about visiting wine producers and tasting wines, I would say that if there is a sign saying DEGUSTATION at any wine producers it means that you can taste the wines. You can just ring the bell or walk in. Most viticulteurs are open from about 9 am to 6 pm (with local extensions) but may be closed from 12 to 2 for lunch.

Sorry I can't personally help further, but, being a Bank Holiday weekend, I already have family commitments. I hope you'll have a good time, but if you can't face the walk to Eguisheim from Colmar - which is very pretty - or to Wettolsheim/Wintzenheim using the TRACE town bus system (the exception to the villages problem mentioned above because these are considered to be dormitory suburbs to Colmar (even though they are towns in their own right with Town Halls!), or the train to Turckheim, then by all means go into cafés in Colmar and ask to see the wine lists because you'll get a choice of different wines made by different producers, and although you'll be in a beautiful town rather than the villages, you can still taste the wines and enjoy them without driving afterwards!

7. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 09:05
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
138 reviews
8. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

Roland - this is really advertising, and the forum is not really the place for such. See the T&C!

9. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 09:05
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
224 reviews
10. Re: wine tasting in Alsace - need help please!!

I'll be doing the route du vin the bank holiday weekend of May 22-24, but most likely we won't start our tastings until 24 May, which is the Monday. Do you know if vinyards/tasting rooms will be open for degustations that day? thank you!