We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September in Gerardmer.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
September in Gerardmer.

I booked a lovely chalet for six in Gerardmer from the Internet. We have talked to the owners and the place looks super. I just hope we are not too far away from the rest of the world so that we can do day trips etc. Have I totally screwed up?!!! It certainly looks fabulous but can we see much of the little towns etc.?

Mentioned in this post
Gerardmer
Gerardmer
Vosges, France
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September in Gerardmer.

You've definitely not 'screwed up'! Gerardmer has a lovely lake and is surrounded by mountains ... known as a ski centre when we get enough snow in Alsace, but only for green runs and the odd red one!

You can drive to Colmar in about an hour and a half, Munster in 3/4 hour, the route des Crêtes with its tempting ferme auberge restaurants in about half an hour, there's the Alpine Garden at the Col de la Schlucht and also the all year bobsleigh run. You will have to drive about an hour to the famous Route des Vins and its lovely villages, but you are relatively close to Kaysersberg, Riquewihr, Ribeauvillé (Beauvillé textile factory outlet is often worth visiting), the Monkey Mountain, the castles of Haut-Koenigsbourg and Husseren les Chateaux, and further on to Mulhouse, Strasbourg, Germany and Switzerland - all about 2 hours. But Gerardmer is great for relaxing and walking and breathing good air. It's not a great centre as such but you will enjoy the simple life and be close enough to good local food and drink without living in a 'tourist trap'. Do contact the Tourist Office at Gerardmer (www.gerardmer.net) for up-to-date ideas and to find out what's on.

Mentioned in this post
Gerardmer
Gerardmer
Vosges, France
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Riquewihr
Riquewihr
Haut-Rhin, France
Mulhouse
Mulhouse
Haut-Rhin, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: September in Gerardmer.

Thanks so much for all your information. I was wondering if we were going to be at the top of a mountain with nothing to do. What you suggest is exactly perfect for our trip. We want to "experience" the little towns and just enjoy the area. I am relieved. We could do short trips daily and maybe a longer trip once a week or so. Market days are always fun. I hope they have some nearby.

We hoped that we might be close enough to the border to get into Germany. We picked Zurich to fly into from Canada. I hope that was a good decision.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September in Gerardmer.

To get to the German border from Gerardmer, you can go to Colmar via Munster - approx 1.5-2 hours, then eastwards on the N415 to the border at Breisach - about half an hour. From there to Freiburg, it'll take 45 mins, and from Freiburg to the Black Forest - say Titisee - another hour max.

Mentioned in this post
Gerardmer
Gerardmer
Vosges, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Black Forest
Black Forest
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: September in Gerardmer.

The itinerary is sounding quite exciting. Good to know that these places are within our reach if we put in a long day or opt to stay over for a night.

I have a North American GPS so I think I will bite the bullet and pay for the upgrade to the European cities. It might help us out. I have Michelin maps now and why not be really prepared since we will totally in new territory. My husband speaks French and I have a good understanding of it but we all are without any German. I am hoping that it will not pose a problem.

Essex
Level Contributor
30,359 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September in Gerardmer.

Geradmer is lovely, you will enjoy it, and the Route Des Cretes is a good drive, beware of the cobblestoned hairpin bends though, interesting in the rain!! The Grand Ballon gives fab views when you get to the highest point though, so it is well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Route des Cretes
Route des Cretes
204 Reviews
Munster, France
Grand Ballon
Grand Ballon
126 Reviews
Guebwiller, France
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: September in Gerardmer.

Let's go over that again! Is it a dangerous, scary drive up to Gerardmer?! I really hope I misunderstood that. Yikes! I just thought it would be nice not to stay in a city. Danger! Scary! Hairpin! These are not happy thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Gerardmer
Gerardmer
Vosges, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,359 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September in Gerardmer.

Oh dear, sorry, my post was not meant to scare you. The drive is fine, I just thought that the quirkiness of cobblestoned hairpin bends (ON THE ROUTE DES CRETES) was worth pointing out, you don't find that in many other places of the world eh?? When I said it was interesting, I meant just that - it's interesting don't you think?? It is wise to drive sensibly on any mountain roads, cobblestones or not!! They can be slippery in the rain (but no, I don't think to danger levels!!), but 1,000's drivers go there every year with no problems.

Geradmer is in a valley and there is plenty of 'flat' driving around, you don't HAVE to go into the mountains, but if you don't want to do that, there is not much else to do, as that is what the region is famous for!!

Relax, you will have a lovely time amongst some beautiful scenery.

Edited: 26 May 2010, 04:21
Mentioned in this post
Route des Cretes
Route des Cretes
204 Reviews
Munster, France
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September in Gerardmer.

The Route des Cretes - the road that runs along the crests (crêtes) of the mountains is a modern tarmaced road, easily wide enough for traffic in both directions, and coaches, motorcyclists and cars have no problems whatsoever. I know of a couple of hairpin bends with cobbles, but it's really no big deal. The roads are very safe, though some of the motorcyclists treat them as a 'thrills and spills' circuit, and you should have NO hesitation in driving on them. The driver, however, may need to concentrate more on the road than the passengers, and the views are tremendous.

Mentioned in this post
Route des Cretes
Route des Cretes
204 Reviews
Munster, France
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: September in Gerardmer.

We are just back from the mountains of British Columbia (Vancouver and Whistler). The SEA TO SKY HIGHWAY is spectacular but very easy driving. I am sure we can handle the mountain but if Gerardmer is at the base of the mountain then, perfect, we don't have to climb up crazy roads. Thanks for taking time to advise. Since I don't know the area at all, I tend to panic early and often!!! I love all the help.

Mentioned in this post
Gerardmer
Gerardmer
Vosges, France
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: September in Gerardmer.

We are planning to drive to Strasbourg from Gerardmer. We are considering the tunnel. Does anyone have an opinion on this route? Is it the best way, time wise.

We absolutely LOVE Gerardmer. We are using all your wonderful suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Gerardmer
Gerardmer
Vosges, France