We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

Bonjour,

I'm planning a one week trip to the Alsace region, without a car. Ideally, I'd like to be based in a nice, quiet village. I want to be able to take walks and have access to some nature and/or vineyards. Love Alsatian wines so easy access to caves is appreciated as well.

Kaysersberg seems very popular, cute, and has daily (?) bus service to and from Colmar. Do you think this is a good place to base myself for a week? I'm hoping to rent a self catering studio.

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

Kaysersberg is a lovely village, but I'm not convinced that you'll find the bus service suited to you unless you accept that you'll need to keep school hours, because this is principally a feeder service for the Collèges and Lycées in Colmar ... so you'll need to be follow their ideas (schools start at 8 till midday and restart after lunch at 2 till 6)! But it is easy to access the vines and get to Sigolsheim and Kientzheim and even up to the lovely Restaurant St Alexis (closed Fridays) above the town in the forests.

I think you'll find it very nice and it does have a couple of supermarkets on the periphery. Note that there is the old town and then it stretches on up the valley into what is relatively modern housing, but still accessible for the old town. There's also a good swimming pool so bring your costume.

Whether you will find enough here to fill a week though very much depends on you and what you want to do ....

Edited: 23 April 2011, 21:39
Mentioned in this post
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

Merci, Alsacienne.

Does "easy to access" mean that I can walk to Sigolsheim and Kientzheim, from Kaysersberg? That sounds nice...

I'm envisioning a relaxing, low-key week of walks through la campagne, visits to wine caves and maybe wineries if they're open to visitors, long meals, maybe a day trip to Colmar and one to Strasbourg.

Thank you again for the tips!

Mentioned in this post
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
london
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

you have riquewihr and ribeauville which are nice villages

worth checking

Edited: 24 April 2011, 00:28
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

Certainly Riquewihr and Ribeauvillé are nice villages .... but Riquewihr would be frustrating for onward travel and the number of tourists tend to destroy the atmosphere during the daytime. Ribeauvillé is almost bordering on a town, and is nowhere near as 'sleepy' as Kaysersberg. Both are worth visiting ... but I think Kaysersberg is the better base.

Sigolsheim is about 2 km from Kaysersberg, and Kientzheim a bit further beyond it. You could also walk to Ammerschwihr - JPKappler's winery under the cross on the Kaysersberg side of the village is family-owned and is where I buy my wine - and take the bus to Hachimette and visit the cheese maker at Au grain de lait (Tuesday morning is when you are certain to see cheese being made, followed by a tasting ... a small factory with a museum but the process is fascinating) and then a few hundred meters away is Miclo's distillery (limited visit I think 16H30 each day, but with an explanatory film if you ask at other times (make sure you get the English version!) plus schnapps tasting) with a delightful fruit garden. You could even take the bus up the valley (cc-kaysersberg.fr/vivre/horaires-bus-et-ter.…) to Orbey or into the mountains to Le Bonhomme and start to walk back. There is also a bus service to Ribeauvillé which gives the starting point for more exploration - recommend the Foie Gras de Liesel shop in Ribeauvillé where M et Mme Baumann make their own excellent foie gras and allow you to taste it. They can pack it for safe travel or send abroad for you. If you want a good walk out of town towards Aubure, you can visit the Beauvillé textiles factory shop, next to the factory, which offers magnificent printed fabrics and some seconds ... teatowels and tablecloths make excellent souvenirs ...

Make sure you can get a suitable train home from Strasbourg to make your bus connection at the end of your day trip, or splurge and stay overnight in Strasbourg one night so you can get home next day in time for your bus! (It could prove a bit expensive to get a taxi back to Kaysersberg if you miss it!).

A Colmar and a Strasbourg day trip would be fine, and don't forget the possibility of heading south from Colmar to visit Eguisheim - by bus, on foot or by bike - for a nearby change of scene.

Plenty of wineries in all these towns. Enjoy yourself!!

Mentioned in this post
Riquewihr
Riquewihr
Haut-Rhin, France
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Eguisheim
Eguisheim
Haut-Rhin, France
Prince George...
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

We just returned from the Alsace and spent a week in a gite in Ribeauville. We did a number of walks through the vineyards, and found the location absolutely wonderful. Ribeauville is not sleepy, as mentioned previously, but it is close to other towns that you can walk to on the various "sentiers" or walking paths. Berghiem is sleepy and has wonderful wineries and restaurants. Huniwhir is between Riquewhir and Ribeauville and has a fabulous walled church - well worth a visit. There are also wineries and a few places to stay. While we didn't take the bus, I noted there are a number of routes that go to Colmar. We found a really good website for the Ribeauville/Riquewhir area that lists all kinds of accommodation information.

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Ribeauville
Ribeauville
Haut-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

Just to remind you that I actually said

'Ribeauvillé is almost bordering on a town, and is nowhere near as 'sleepy' as Kaysersberg.'

It certainly isn't sleepy, and a lot of time and money has been spent as of late in encouraging shops and restaurants to open in its main street which has limited traffic circulation during the day time.

Hunawihr is not only famous for its walled church but also for the wall paintings inside it! I am glad that you enjoyed Bergheim ... a really attractive village which so far has retained its own character ... but would remind you that the buses are often timed for schools and people going to work so they are not as frequent as a tourist might like.

This site cg68.fr/horaires-des-bus/horaires-des-bus.ht… may be of help to others who want to see what buses are available to them. Unfortunately it does not exist in translation ...

You wrote .........

We found a really good website for the Ribeauville/Riquewhir area that lists all kinds of accommodation information.

Please do add it to this thread so that more visitors can profit from it. Many thanks.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 17:30
Mentioned in this post
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Ribeauville
Ribeauville
Haut-Rhin, France
Prince George...
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

I'm not confident in my computer skills so hadn't attached the previously mentioned website for accommodation. Here goes....

ribeauville-riquewihr.com/client/index.php…

Hope that works.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

It works a treat! MANY THANKS!

France
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

Lovely! Thank you, Shoyles, for the link. Could you pm me the name of the gite you rented?

Merci, Alsacienne, for further information and help! Thanks for the small tips...they can make a huge difference sometimes.

I just came back from a week break in a village in the south. The "village stay" was nice, but I actually started missing the hustle and bustle of the city after a few days...So now I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't go for another village experience while visiting Alsace. What do you think about Colmar as a base? Not too big, has a train station, and from my research, it seems that I can walk or bus to a village or two, and visit Strasbourg for a day if I want.

THANK YOU!

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: village as a base (Kaysersberg or...?)

I think that Colmar would be an ideal base, because of its proximity to the west - Munster - and north/south - Strasbourg, Mulhouse, Switzerland by train. There are some buses for villages and there is a municipal bike hire scheme that puts Eguisheim and even Turckheim if you're reasonably fit (flat routes and cyclepaths) into your orbit.

We have a theatre, 2 multiplex cinemas, two good swimming pools and an ice rink so there's quite a lot to do as regards leisure activities plus the usual shops, a regular food market and a twice weekly textile and food market.

I'll be pleased to try to answer questions for you in the future or try to help you find information to make a stay there enjoyable, so do come back to Alsace soon.

Mentioned in this post
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Mulhouse
Mulhouse
Haut-Rhin, France
Eguisheim
Eguisheim