We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

Albany, New York
10 posts
Save Topic
 Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

Dear Forum,

Thanks in advance for your help.

My fiance and I are taking our honeymoon to France. We arrive in Paris on Tuesday 6-21-11 and leave out of Nice on Monday 7-4-11. So far our itinerary is 4 nights in Paris, 3 nights in Dijon, 3 nights in Aix-en-Provence, and 3 nights in Nice.

Right now we are reconsidering if Dijon is the right place to make our second stop. We are considering alternatives of Bordeaux and Alsace (any other suggestions are very much welcome). We have never been to France before, and are trying to sample the country as best as possible in 2 weeks, without rushing too much.

We are both in our early 30s, and although we are young, we don't really go out dancing till 3AM (if fact we don't really go dancing at all). On the other hand, we would like to be in a place that has some nice nightlife that we can walk around and see (eg. cafes, restaurants, bars…). For example, we have a hotel on the Cours Mirabeau in Aix, and are very excited.

Also, my fiance is Chinese, and really can't drink a lot (half a glass of wine max). So while I have heard that Dijon/Beaune are great, we are not going to spend 3 days straight tasting wine (I know you don't drink the wine when tasting, but we're just not winos). We like a mix---a little food (actually we love food--and we eat everything), a little museum, a little night life, a little fast paced, a little small town…, and wonderful daytime activities takes precedence over fantastic night-time bars/clubs.

So what do you think? Is 3 nights in Dijon/Beaune the right stop, or should we head down to the Dordogne or over to Alsace?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best,

Marc

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

Yes. Burgundy is more or less on the way from Paris to Nice.

Alsace is a big detour; Bordeaux is ridiculously out of the way and would be very difficult to add to that itinerary.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

I'll second those recommendations.

Alsace is wonderful, but very, very quiet at night in the wine villages...and a significant detour east. Bordeaux is ridiculously far away if your end destination is Nice. You'll find plenty of nightlife in Nice and the surrounding area. Burgundy is on the way, and in addition to its wine attractions, it's also a major food destination, and lots of historical attractions, chateau and the like.

Albany, New York
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

Hi everyone,

Thanks so far for all your help. Just wanted to clear up that we are going to be traveling by trains, not driving from city to city. In Aix we will rent a car to see the region. When I look it up it is ~2 hours Paris to Dijon vs. ~3hours Paris to Bordeaux. Then, Dijon to Aix is ~3.5 hours. There are 2 ways to go from Bodeaux to Aix: 1-train which is about ~6 hours, 2-Air france has cheap flights from Bordeaux-Marseille (1 hours at about $100 per person) and then a bus from marseille to Aix. So, comparing only trains, the Dijon route is about 4 hours less total travel time (and it is just about the same if we fly). Not so much in the context of 2 weeks of travel. So leaving aside from Travel times, what places would you visit.

Also, are there better base cities in the Dordogne vs. Bordeaux?

Again, I really appreciate all your help. This will be the trip of a lifetime for us.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

If you're traveling by train, then just go from Paris to Nice and don't' stop over anywhere..

The inconvenience of the train and plane connections make it a real slog, and the small amount of time you'll have in any second stop will be far outweighed by the hassle of trying to make all the connections.

For this particular trip, the Dordogne might as well be on another planet -- you absolutely must have a car, and it's absolutely not convenient to anything else on your itinerary. Save it for your next trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

An easy stopover from Paris is Avignon, beautiful town and lots to see in the area (Pont Du Gard, many historical Roman sites and villages) The train then goes directly to Nice from there.

london
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

from paris to the south,burgundy in on the way

use dijon to arrive in the area,then proceed to beaune

the nationale 74 is the main route from dijon to the south for wines passing beaujolais

if you can,you may stop in lyon the follow the rhone valley

Edited: 29 April 2011, 20:26
France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

Avignon is a good idea, and you could also stop off in Lyon - France's second city.

8. Re:  Second stop in France-Burgundy, Bordeaux or Alsace?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 02:17