We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ribeauville apartment advice

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Ribeauville apartment advice

Hi, we are planning a week in the Alsace in the first week of July this year.

We are looking at a place that is in the ramparts of Ribeauville, which means cars drive under where the bedrooms are. Having 3 kids (2,4,6) I am worried about the noise.

homelidays.co.uk/ribeauville/house-villa-247…

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how noisy that might be?

I chose Ribeauville because we didn't want a big city but would appreciate some restaurants / conveniences etc nearby.

Any other areas you'd suggest?..

..We're planning to go to Haut Koenigsburg, Colmar, maybe Europa Park. My husband loves mountains and photography. The kids like castles etc.

We'll be flying out of Frankfurt when we leve the Alsace (flight is late at night).

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

I read all the "testimonials" on the site, and nobody mentioned noise.

We stayed in the remparts of Riquewihr a couple of years ago, and although there was no "drive through" under our apartment, the village was very quiet in the morning and in the evening when the daytrippers had left. I would imagine that the same holds true for Ribeauville, and I can't imagine that Ribeauville is any more touristy than Riquewihr.

We stayed at www.i-love-riquewihr.com and were very happy with the accommodations and the owners, who have several apartments in the areas.

Happy planning, and have a great trip.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

I have had a look on the map provided ... not greatly detailed, but it is NOT on the main road west up to Ste Marie aux Mines which is where all the through traffic goes nor is it along the Route du Vin itself between Ribeauvillé and Bergheim.

I think you will have no problems at all with traffic noise - perhaps the odd car accessing a house - but definitely not main road stuff.

Having looked at the photos, it looks beautiful, a typical old traditional house with exposed beams. This sort of house, particularly if it formed part of the outer fortifications, had very thick walls to keep invaders (and the heat of summer) out!! I think you'll be fine.

As regards attractions nearby, the local swimming pool - les 3 châteaux if I remember correctly - has a nice paddling pool, a small shallow pool, a lap pool and a small jacuzzi. However, make sure you pack swimming caps - or you can buy them there, as they used to obligatory here (which is why I went to Colmar to Aqualia, where they don't insist on caps, and have great facilities). The Carola pool is outside, and I still haven't braved it yet.

Locally you will find the Stork Reintroduction Park and a big tent containing butterflies. Your husband will enjoy Haut Koenigsbourg and there are easily accessible ruined castles at Husseren, Katzenthal and Kaysersberg, plus a great restored one called Hohlandsbourg, just west of Colmar near Husseren, that often has activities for children.

If you can make it to Turckheim, there is a good play park next to the stork centre (just alongside the new community centre next to the Staub factory).

Your little ones might just be able to enjoy LE VAISSEAU, a hands-on science/play museum in Strasbourg where everything is in 3 languages. The café is good too, and that could be combined with a visit to the Chocolate Museum in Geispolsheim (a southern suburb of Strasbourg that is on the main road (A35) between Ribeauvillé and Strasbourg (http://www.musee-du-chocolat.com/index-en.php). They'd probably also enjoy the toy museum in rue Vauban in Colmar and a ride on the little green tourist train.

You might also try to get to the Ecomusée (http://www.ecomusee-alsace.fr/) at Ungersheim, where you can explore a reconstructed Alsacian visit, go in the houses, open the cupboards etc and stroke animals and see aspects of traditional life. There is also a good zoo at Mulhouse.

Europapark is a great place to visit, but with your children being quite young, and possibly still enjoying a rest in the middle of the day - and it can be hot in Alsace in the summer, might I suggest CIGOLAND as a tamer but just as enjoyable a possibility. Granted that some of the rides could do with a coat of paint, this little park with animals might be of a scale that your children would really enjoy ... even though mum and dad would have to forego the white knuckle rides. There's no mass queuing and I think it would suit little ones much better, and not as far to travel to ... you'd have to allow a good hour or a bit more each way from Ribeauvillé and queues for rides can be very long. However please be aware that the rides and the entry desk close between 12 and 1 .... but you can still walk around and look at the animals, enjoy a picnic and just relax!

Too much really to suggest for you to do .... but please post again if you have more questions. I think you'll sleep well in your apartment and have a great time.

Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

I think you should be fine, what a lovely looking place.

We have stayed twice in Alsace, the first time in Eguisheim in an apartment looking out over the main street, and then a couple of years later in Ammerschwir.We were never bothered by noise. Like Grandmere says, once the daytrippers have left it will probably be very quiet.

We love the Alsace area, we walked through the vineyards from village to village, and did a bit of wine tasting. It is very easy to get around from village to village.

We were fascinated by the way the storks make their nests, you would wonder just how they can perch where they do.

Alsacienne has some great tips for you for things to do and visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

Firstly thank you so much for the replies and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

My latest deliberation is over the church bells, which are very close to the apartment. The owner has kindly confirmed that they do in fact, ring all night (every 15 minutes I think).

We stayed in Ribeauville a few years ago, and while I do now remember the bells, I don't remember it being a huge problem, but we were a bit further away.

The owner says noone has complained previously, which is a good sign, and I think too that it is possibly hard to avoid - it may be the same case for the place I was looking at in Hunawihr.

There are a couple of posts on TripAdvisor from people staying at a nearby hotel complaining about the noise from the bells (there are apparently a few different churches that all ring their bells) - I think too, it is probably only an issue in the height of summer, when the windows have to be open. We will be there in the beginning of July so it could be hot.

Tough decision...I'd appreciate any thoughts / advice anyone has to offer.

Sue

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

We have rented an apartment in Katzenthal each of the last 2 summers, and the church bells in the village rang every 15 minutes. We quickly figured out that we needed to close the windows if we wanted to get sleep.

Closing the windows created another problem, the lack of a gentle breeze or cooling effect. We solved it by going to the local Cora outlet just outside Colmar and bought an inexpensive table top fan and set it near the bed to gently fan us.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 23:20
Prince George...
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

What bothers one person is another person's delight. One of my fond memories of Ribeauville was listening to the bells... yes, they rang regularly, but I don't remember loosing a lot of sleep. If it's an issue, wearing earplugs will solve that problem. You will love Ribeauville. We stayed in a gite for a week and enjoyed the surrounding area immensely. Be sure to walk to some of the neighbouring villages and take in local wine tastings.

7. Re: Ribeauville apartment advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:41