We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

Level Contributor
63 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

We have a 10 am flight on a Friday morning July 2013,and also will need to return a rental car. Is it necessary to stay the night before close to the airport? We have no problem with waking up at 6 am, and are flexible with lodging. Would prefer to stay near Colmar and drive to the airport/return car that friday morning, but can certainly stay at an airport area hotel with transfers.Will need to arrive to check one bag, will have assigned seats from EasyJet going to BUD. I just have no idea what the traffic might be like in either direction.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

If you want to be sure you could book either the Captain's hotel at Bartenheim (http://www.captainhotel.com/index_en.php) or the Formule 1 - much more basic, opposite the airport.

There are really no hotels with transfer except the Captain's hotel ... which means returning your car the evening before .... make sure that you check with the hotel about its transfer arrangements first.

There are NO transfers from Colmar.

Can't help with the traffic but you will be likely to see more road users heading for their summer holidays ...

Level Contributor
63 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

I would like to know if it is possible to stay near Colmar, and return the car the morning of the flight, -- how much time to allow for traffic to make a 10am flight, given we need to return the rental car at the airport and check a bag. our other option is to return the car the night before and stay near the airport. Are there morning commuter traffic concerns heading into Basel airport?

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

I suppose that anything is possible BUT ....

I'm not sure that you understood my reply to your question, because I had hoped that I'd already answered it. I'll try again and we'll see if that helps more!

Normally it takes about 45 mins to get to Basel airport if you are going full whack at the legal speed, and there are no holdups. BUT there is the risk of unexpected delays through accidents and heavy traffic density.

You need to get there in time to

*** drop off the car ... French side ...

*** walk through level 3 from the French side to the Swiss side ...

*** wait in line for the bag drop (assuming you have checked in on line) or *** wait in line to check in your bags ...

(which can take a long time with EZY because there is not always a

dedicated desk for each destination. And EZY attracts a lot of custom

especially in July on a Friday with the school holidays already

underway. )

*** wait in line for security control ...

*** walk to the gate (not far but not visible from security) ...

*** queue up for your flight with a cut off time of 30 mins before departure ...

I would allow a good hour to check in and go through security. EZY have very strict times and once you reach Departure -40 mins and haven't checked in, that's it. New ticket required. And you must be at the gate at Departure -30 mins.

There is often quite heavy commuter traffic heading to Basel. But as I don't do this route regularly I can't comment on how it might affect you. Also, will your hotel serve you breakfast early enough? Will you be able to check out quickly, especially if you are not the only person checking out?

You'll need to get onto the A35 motorway to get to Basel and my personal experience DOES tell me that there can be slow traffic getting through Colmar if you are travelling between 7.45 and 8.15 am ... people going to work, as the working day starts around 8 am.

If I were taking the BUD flight at 10H00 and did not have to option to check in online and then just bag drop, (and I'm speaking personally here because I don't like stress) I would leave Colmar at 07H00, aim to drop the car off at 08H00 (and that can take a bit of time too), then walk through the terminal to arrive at EZY's check in/bag drop area at 08H30.

You might prefer to stay nearer the airport to allow for a more relaxed morning. Only you know your personal preferences!

Level Contributor
63 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

Thanks so much. Your detail is impressive. (I just wanted to have an idea of how much time to allow to drive to the airport should we decide to lodge in Colmar area. It's why I asked the follow up question, I wasn't sure if I made myself clear. ) I was planning on arriving 2 + hours pre-flight no matter where we stayed the night before. Hopefully, we will check in online, again, regardless of our lodging.

Thanks again.

5. Re: Lodging night before 10am flight BSL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 11:17