We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

I am not familiar with toll roads in France. How many Euros (bills or coin) to set aside for driving from Strasbourg, France to Schillersdorf, France... northeast of Bouxwiller and east of Ingwiller?

Do you drop Euro coin into a box or do people staff toll road facilities or exits?

Any specific guidelines for someone driving at sunset or at night?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

It's a toll road essentially the same as any other toll road in the world.

For estimates of your particular route, head for www.viamichelin.com.

Because the tolls tend to be considerably more than what you would pay in coins, you usually put a credit card into the slot and press a button for a receipt if you want one.

The bad news is that sometimes American credit cards work, and sometimes they don't, and there's no way to tell which is which until it's too late. There are always manned booths (look for the icon of the person) on larger autoroutes, although rural exits may be unmanned. Always a good idea to keep plenty of change on hand for the smaller exits.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

We don't have any toll roads in Alsace with the exception of the tunnel through the Vosges(Tunnel Maurice-Lemaire) from St Dié to Sélestat - the N159.

Motorway tolls apply on the A4 to Paris from the Brumath exit heading towards Paris, and on the A36 after Mulhouse when heading towards Dijon. There are no tolls on the A35.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

Thanks much, I will keep Euros on hand...coin and paper,

The routes from Google Maps is A35, then A4 then exit 46 toward Bouxwiller etc. and on to "d" roads. I will follow-up with Michelin, one website estimated 1.40 in tolls, so I should be ok if I keep enough small currency on hand. Now I need to worry about a bueu parking card for my rental car.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

Thanks for your update.

It makes sence since it appears that the route suggested is using A4, and described it as a partial roll road, with an estimated cost of 1.40 Euros from Michelin website for approximately 8 km. Exit 46 to Bouxwiller is a toll road, then on to D100, for D32 to get to D25, then D735, then D24, to D105 and to D234 for Schillersdorf. I will not use a USA credit card.

5. Re: What are toll roads like in Alsace region of France?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 07:16