We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
59 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

Hi,

I will be in Alsace in late August (30-sept 1), we will be arriving from Switzerland with a rental car, driving in from Lausanne. We are flying out of Strasbourg in the early afternoon on the 1st.

I'm a little torn between either spending one night in the south part of alsace near the wine route (perhaps Riquewihr or colmar) and the 2nd night in Strasbourg (i usually don't mind one night stays but I know they aren't ideal) OR two nights in the first destination and skipping Strasbourg altogether. That would eliminate driving into Strasbourg and an extra checkin/out. Obviously it is a short visit, so we have to make some sacrifices, but is it foolish to skip Strasbourg (i've heard it is a beautiful city)?

Our priorities are to get a glimpse of the scenic architecture, pretty countrysides, and sample good food and wine.

also, anyone have any recomendations between le maximillien, la table du gourmad, or chambard? (auberge d'ill seems a bit too pricy)

thanks for the tips

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

Strasbourg is lovely and can be visited superficially in one day .... Cathedral, boat trip, Petite France, Alsacian Museum ... but the airport at Entzheim is to the south of Strasbourg, so I suppose I'd suggest spending two nights in Colmar or the surrounding area and visiting Colmar and Eguisheim on one day and the Wine Road between Colmar and Bergheim on the second ... but then I'm biassed by where I live!

As for dinner, the Auberge may be pricey but I have had two delicious meals in my years in Alsace here that are part of my fondest culinary experiences!! And of course it all depends on whether you can get a booking.

I've enjoyed the Maximilien and the Chambard once each. But you might consider the Taverne Alsacienne in Ingersheim and the Melichkann in Jebsheim. Good food, and loved by locals, ... and my personal favourite which is the Taverne Medieval in Gueberschwihr which has lovely local dishes and a nice atmosphere. Not 'posh' but good honest food at local prices. All these have websites.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
59 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

Thank you for your throughtful reply. It seems you put a great deal of work into making this forum useful, it is appreciated.

Yes it does seem difficult to turn down the Auberge. We already have one splurge 3* meal planned in Switzerland after a long several days of hiking, so probably will have to pass, but my arm is easily twisted when it comes to these sorts of decisions... Have you eaten there recently? i have read elsewhere that the kitchen is slipping a bit?

We will definatley try one or two of your suggestions too. I like to try a mix of refined and casual restos to get a feel for the food.

Do you have any personal favourites for accomidation in the colmar surrounding area, prehaps a quaint b&b or smaller hotel type place? There seems like a lot of good options

Thanks again!

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

If you are staying in Colmar itself, I would recommend La Maison des Tetes. A beautiful boutique hotel in the heart of Colmar with parking in the inner courtyard. We've stayed there 3 times now and have been delighted each time. The restaurant serves excellent Alsace food.

http://www.la-maison-des-tetes.com/en/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187073-d239294…

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

I would agree with Wigwam about staying in the Maison des Têtes, as for the Auberge, perhaps I will be able to reply about its latest state in a few months as DS has promised me and his dad a treat as he's been on mission far away for the last 15 months and is due home leave!!!

I don't know what other folk are comparing the Auberge de l'Ill to, but I've been there on a couple of occasions and it has always been out of this world!! However it was a year ago that I last went, but would go again in a heartbeat .. or a tummy rumble!

As to where to stay in Colmar, there are pretty hotels in the centre BUT parking is very limited, and as you are here in the height of summer, you might find that you had enough noise from late night bars and cafés to disturb you. You might consider the Colombier, (albeit not a B&B!) the Turenne, the Amiral Bleu Marine on the Champs de Mars, but for small hotels and B&Bs you're probably best off in a village (of which there are too many to mention!!).

5. Re: 2 days in Alsace late august, ? skip strasbourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17