We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How city like is Colmar?

Which Colmar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
How city like is Colmar?

I see the population is 65000, but most of the photos I see are of the Petit Venise area.

I was wondering if Colmar is busy enough to spend 4 days there and visit the other towns on the wine route or Strasbourg on day trips, or if it is a really quiet town where everything closes early and my wife and I would get bored. (we're big city people)

Let us know what you think!

Thanks!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How city like is Colmar?

We used colmar as a base for an Alcase area trip a few years ago. If you have a car, it's fine but it definitely is on the small side as far as cities go - There are a few restaurants etc that we enjoyed, but it is definitely quieter than Stasbourg. We liked it because of the easy highway asscess; there is enough to do in the area but three nights may be ample

jhg

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How city like is Colmar?

Thanks for that. I am, however, beginning to thing a day trip from Strasbourg may not be enough to take in all the sights. I may possibly have to spend a night or two.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How city like is Colmar?

It depends on your interests - if you like looking around museums then you could spend 2 days in Colmar itself, if you want to wander around the town and just see the architecture then 4-5 hours is enough.

A whole day to see all the villages along the wine route is a bit of a rush, but a whole day spent leisurely going round 2 or 3 of the villages and driving between them is very nice.

Strasbourg again depending on your interest can be a day trip or worth a longer stay.

If you like wild night life it's not for you, but there's no problem to find a nice restaurant that's busy until later at night. There's no big bar culture though.

My advice if you're big city people is that Colmar will be a change and Strasbourg is livelier.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How city like is Colmar?

Thanks for that. My wife and I aren't party animals, per se, I just don't want to end up somewhere where the city shuts down at 6pm. We spent two night in Toledo, Spain like that and vowed never to do it again. Very touristy, expensive, quiet little place. Kind of took away from the beautiful surroundings.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How city like is Colmar?

I know exactly what you mean about Toledo. My wife and I had the same experience there last June on a Saturday. Toledo is very much a bus day trip from Madrid type of place and it's all over by 6pm. Colmar is nothing like that. There are any number of restaurants open in the evening and people are out and about at that time of day.

Strasbourg will have more going on in the evening, but Colmar is fine. I've stayed and eaten at Maison des Tetes and La Marechal in Colmar and recommend them. In Strasbourg, I've stayed at Hotel Beaucour and eaten at the associated restaurants Maison Kammerzell and L'Alsace à Table, all very good.

You could easily spend 4 days in either place or 2 days in each. The suprise highlight of the area for me (on a wet day) was la Cité de l’Automobile - Musée National in Mulhouse, about 30mins south of Colmar. Even my wife was impressed with the huge collection of vintage autos including the Schlumpf Bugatti collection.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How city like is Colmar?

We had 5 days in the Colmar area last year. We spent a full day in Colmar and think that was enough. it feel like a small town and there was plenty to see. We were a bit museumed out at this stage but still enjoyed the one in Colm,ar. I preferred it to Strasbourg, it just felt friendly. There were plenty of restaurants at all price points. We took the petite train to orientate ourselves. We stayed in a small village between there and Strasbourg, see my review of Ambiance Gardin, (under Colmar). There is plenty to see in the area once you have had enough of Colmar. I would go back in a flash. Just watch that desert Gverytz (sorry about the spelling) and the Tarte Flambe. You might just decide that you will stay there!

7. Re: How city like is Colmar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 05:18