We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colmar christmas market

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Colmar christmas market

Spending 3 days in zurich and 2 days in lucerne the first week in December.

I am thinking about taking a day trip to Colmar to experience the Christmas market. How far is the market from the train station? Am I correct in assuming that it is less crowded mid week? I am prepared for a very long day but I love markets!!!

Any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colmar christmas market

Walking distance in about 15 minutes

Yes it's less crowded midweek, but to be authentic you actually want a few people bustling around.

http://www.noel-colmar.com/en/

PS, make sure to see Basel market ahead of any others.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colmar christmas market

Personally I'd be happier mid-week ... and I live close by!! Yes it's nice to have people to rub shoulders with, but too many means that you get moved along in the crush!!

Remember that there's more than one market ... the Children's market is probably the nearest to the station, but don't forget the foods in the Place Jeanne d'Arc, and the atmosphere and crafts in the Place des Dominicains as well as the area around the Place des Tanneurs.

15-20 mins walk should bring you to the furthest market, but it's all level paved walking.

Remember that the markets are open until 8 pm, and it can get cold once the sun goes down so dress appropriately and have a great time!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colmar christmas market

Your answers have brought up another question..........would you go midweek daytime/opening or midweek late afternoon/evening. Or should I just make an entire day trip? I do not drink so I am not interested in wine tasting etc.

I would avoid the childrens market and focus on the food and crafts. How long should I plan for?

Thanks again. I have not been to colmar in many many years and I had forgotten what a pretty town it is. I am looking forward to my visit!

France
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colmar christmas market

We'll be there this weekend, just after the opening of this year's market. I'm hoping that it will be animated and friendly but not swamped with people. Any comments on the early days of the market, a month before Christmas?

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colmar christmas market

"Any comments on the early days of the market, a month before Christmas?"

The weather's too good to feel Christmassy yet - 3 weeks of unbroken sunshine, which is more than we had in the summer. And yes I know I'll regret saying that in Feb when I have to dig the car out of the snow again and again. And again.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colmar christmas market

Beautiful sunny weather here today with blue skies, and autumn foliage to do justice to certain parts of the NE USA!! Don't let lovely sunshine detract from the Christmas markets, it just makes the photos prettier!

I think you are coming at the right time before it gets swamped ... especially by coach parties! Remember that there is more than one market location and they all start at 10 am. I think you'll find it friendly with plenty of space to actually see what's on display on stalls.

As regards luvtotravel... you could probably do the market bits that interest you in a half day. But don't forget to see other things that Colmar is famous for, especially the Unterlinden museum where you could easily spend half a day even outside the Christmas period.

Enjoy your visits folks!

7. Re: Colmar christmas market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Colmar