We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

I will be in Alsace in August. I would like to stay in 1 of the villages/towns south of Strasbourg and north of Colmar on the Route du Vin. I'd like a picturesque town where we could walk around but not too touristy. Any suggestions?

Colmar Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Ophorus Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
L'Alsaciette
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

We used Riquewihr as a base for day trips for the week we spent in Alsace; it was touristy during the day, but the mornings and evenings were lovely. Another village that we visited and thought would make a great place to stay was Kaysersberg

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Both Riquewihr and Kaysersberg are, to me, very touristy - as in tour buses full. Ribeauville is more spread out and has some quieter areas. Small villages (I'm thinking Bergheim, Hunawihr, Saint-Hippolyte) are much quieter but may not have enough for you see when you walk around. But bear in mind that they're all very close - Bergheim to Ribeauville is a 5 minute drive. There's always a vitner (or 10) to visit within a few minutes most anywhere. So keep looking around to find what in particular interests you.

I think you might like Bergheim.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

I love Obernai. It's charmingly lacking in all the kitch of so many of the other tourist towns.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Thank you. This was helpful to know that those towns are busy during the day but not in the morning or evening. Good thought.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Thanks for your ideas. I'm looking into Ribeauville and Bergheim. I don't want to stay in a town with busloads of tourists.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Thank you. I will check out Obernai.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Obernai is indeed very nice and very convenient to Rosheim, Andlau and Mt. St. Odile, but not much closer to the Eguisheim-Turckheim-Colmar-Kaysersberg-Riquewihr-Ribeauville axis than Strasbourg. The OP didn't say how long she has to stay, but if it's a week or more, two locations would work well.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Im only staying 4 nights so would like a central location so we could take day trips to Colmar and the Route du Vin. Is there a place south of Obernai you'd recommend? I'd like a small cute town but not overloaded with tourists. I'd like to be able to walk around in the town. Thanks so much for your help.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

IME, the tourists do not make it difficult to walk around the town, and if you are doing day trips from your base village, you will have plenty of time to explore it in the morning and evening and become a tourist in somebody else's cute and small village in the afternoon!

Granted my Alsace trip was in October, and although Riquewihr was busy those afternoons, Kaysersberg was definitely not overrun with tourists. Au contraire, in fact!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,591 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Town to stay in between Colmar and Strasbourg

Obernai is just as "touristy" as the small villages of Alsace, IMO, so I would not elevate it to a different level. Frankly, in August, you will have plenty of company of your fellow tourists. It is what it is.

We stayed in Ottrott this past June, which is about a 10 minute drive South of Obernai, so obviously very convenient in terms of access. We drove South to Colmar and visited many villages along Route de Vin. We also did a day trip to Strasbourg on a Sunday, which worked out famously in terms of low traffic, plenty of free street parking and magnificent church bells of the Cathedral calling to Sunday service. On the somewhat negative, shops were closed but one cannot win them all. And I digressed here.. :)

In Ottrott, we stayed at Hotel L'Ami Fritz which we found in Karen Brown's Guide. It was pleasant. Food was more German then French but (1) we could have dined elsewhere and (2) I digress yet again! :) Ottrott itself is very small with only so many hotel rooms available so, hopefully, would not be "overrun" with tourists. While one can certainly stroll the few streets, there are not that many to stroll and there is essentially no commerce to window shop.

Eguisheim, Kaysersberg, Riquewihr and Ribeauville were overrun with our fellow tourists even in June.

Of the famous four, Eguisheim is the prettiest, IMO.